IELTS Task2:Discuss both views

Thank you for your help last time, please help me with ielts task2 again,thank you.

Q: In a number of countries, some people think it is necessary to spend large sum of money on constructing new railway lines for very fast trains between cities. Others believe the money should be spent on improving existing public transport. Discuss both views and yours

There are two different views about whether or not government should develop new transport construction. Some people believe that spend huge amount of money to invest a new fast train system is necessary. While others tend to maintain or improve public transportation which they already have. However, I will argue that because of rapid change all over the world, it is important for countries to build new railway lines.

First of all, it is a well known fact that developing countries require efficient transportation to function well. For example, in Taiwan, the government spent large sum of money to build high speed rail. It makes that business travel are much more convient and create value between cities. With the fast train, people can save their time and create more business opportunities. A country need this to have more competitiveness.

Instead of building new transportation, some people support the idea that maintain and improve existing public transport is basic and important. For instance, still in Taiwan, we have old but well functional train system. People in remote areas rely on Taiwan railway to travel to city. It is basic right for everyone in a country having public transport whether they live in a city or countryside.

In conclusion, I once again restate my view that develop new fast train system is essential for development of country. Government should spend more money to build new railway lines between cities for economic development.

1 Like

Hi Sophia, once again, this is a “discuss both views and give your opinion”. I think you have done a better job in giving both viewpoints, but I think you could have done a better job on the improving the existing system side of the argument. I think “public transport” doesn’t just mean railways, but it also means the subways and bus systems within cities that allow everybody to travel around the city. Also, when you give your opinion, I think that section needs to be a little bit longer. Reiterate the specific reasons that most influenced your opinion. Here are some other suggestions:

1 Like