IELTS TASK 2: Should goverment spend its budget to preserve old buiding?

Some people think that the government should spend its budget on preserving old buidings, others think it is not necessary as there are more important matters. Discuss both views and give your opinion.

Opinion differs as to how government budget should be allocated. While some may agree that the fund should cover present urgent matters such as infrastructure and accommodation, I strongly emphasize on the importance of preserving past value like old buildings.

It is understandable why some people may question the need to restore ancient houses while such serious problems as health care, infrastructure and housing of the city are not being well addressed. It is true to a certain extent that the responsibility of the goverment to improve the living condition of its current residents. As the financial ability of each country is finite, it is somewhat reasonable to assume most part of tax payer’s money should be used for improving their lives.

However, my firm conviction is that keeping old buildings intact is beyond any economics value. The construction could be a story from the past teaching young generations a valuable lesson. The historical value attached to the building can instil national pride and patriotism inside them. Furthermore, the investment in the preservation could turn those places into appealing tourist attraction spots. Had the capital city - Hanoi not spent millions of dollar each year to renovate its Ancient Quarter, it would not have attracted millions of foreign tourists. Those revenue sources gained from visitors could be utilized to mitigate the issues of the city.

In conclusion, while serious aspects of people’s current living condition should be noticed, I believe the care for old values such as ancient buildings should receive an equal amount of investment.

3 Likes

Hi Paul, just like your previous essay, I am not sure the graders will like your format for the “discuss both sides and give your opinion” prompt type. Still, your writing is very clear, though there were a few somewhat odd sounding phrases here and there. Here are more details:

3 Likes

Thank you so much Luschen
Less than one moth to the exam, I really hope I could get a 7 so I will bother you a lot if you don’t mind.

1 Like