IELTS Task 2: Influence of scientific progress on our daily life. Good or bad?

Scientific progres has greatly influenced our daily life. Do you think it is a positive or negative development
Target: Band 7. Counting down: 19 days to the test. May the odd be ever in my favour :slight_smile: .

The advent in science these days has changed our life significantly on a daily basis. Despite some disadvantages associated with the trend, I strongly believe these are outweighed by the advantages.

It is understandable why some people may think that the influence of the advances in technology may pose a threat to our life. Our high dependence on technology, to some extent, create a devastating effect on a certain number of people. Nowadays, we are inexorably linked to the Internet that it could be troublesome for someone to part with it. The Internet has somewhat weakened our communication skill as some people have not engaged in a face-to-face conversation for a long time. Another reason why people hold a strong view against scientific advances is the fear of losing their jobs due to the developments in robotic technology. This trend has been gradually taking place since the last century and scientists predicted that it might continue to happen on an unprecedented scale in the next century.

Despite these drawbacks, I strongly believe that the novel developments of technology will create more significant benefits. Advances in science have been of great useful to us in solving many daunting challenges of this century such as climate change or enhancing people’s life. New technologies are invented everyday to help us adapt to the alterations in a fast-changing environment. Advents in medical science have increased our life span greatly by coming up with the cure for diseases that were once incurable. Furthermore, the progress in cosmos research and development opens up a wide potential for us to expand our presence across the universe someday.

In conclusion, my strong conviction is that we benefit significantly from the progress in various field of science. Thank to such development, not only are we able to live longer but also have a clear opportunity to explore the universe in a not too distant future.

2 Likes

Hi Paul, I liked your essay, but I am not sure it is quite at the band 7 level.
Your paraphrase of the prompt sounded a little unnatural, with your use of advent.
And for this type of prompt, and your thesis statement, I think you spent too much space discussing the disadvantages of science. The prompt is not really a “discuss both sides” type prompt, so I think you need to focus more on the advantages and more clearly show how each disadvantage is outweighed by the advantages. In addition, adding more transition phrases in your writing will help it flow more smoothly. Here are some other comments:

1 Like