IELTS graph essay about population, average births and life expectancy.

The table illustrates that the changes regarding the population growth, average births per woman and life expectancy in three different kinds countries between 2000 and 2004.

In the high income countries, the percentage of population growth in the year 2000 was bigger than that in 2004, with 0.8% and 0.7% respectively. In 2000 and 2004 witnessed the same proportion in average births per woman (1.7). By contrast, there was a slight rise in the life expectancy from 78.1 to 78.8 among the 4 years.

As to the middle income countries, the percentage of population growth remained stable during a 4-year period (0.9%). The proportion of average births per woman in 2000 was 0.3 more than that in the high income countries and in 2004, the number fell 0.1. The proportion of life expectancy showed opposite trend, it rose from 69.1 in 2000 to 70.0 in 2004.

Noteworthy is the fact that the proportion of population growth and average births per woman was the biggest comparing with two other countries, with more than 2% and 2.6 separately within 4 years. However, the life expectancy in the low income countries was the shortest not only in 2000 but also in 2004, with merely 58.1 and 58.9 respectively.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture by a professor of Archeology

Hi Candy, you were able to communicate most of the data on the chart, but I think this could have been done a bit more clearly. You had some trouble with prepositions and the use of proportion. A proportion can be like a ratio - “the proportion of Chinese to Americans is 6 to 1” or it can be a fraction or sometimes a percentage of a whole. “The proportion of girls in the class is two-thirds.” Here, even the population growth is not really a proportion, since it is a percentage increase, not a percentage of a whole. Your final paragraph seemed the weakest, as that first sentence was quite confusing to me. I think I would rate this about a band 5.5