I wouldn't miss it for the world/ I wouldn't have missed it for the world

Hi all of you,

A friend of mine, Guido recently opened an art gallery/ I was invited.

Before the opening, my granny asked me: Are you going to the opening of the gallery at which I replied: ‘Yes, granny, I wouldn’t miss it for the world.’

When I was at the opening of the gallery, Guido came towards me and said: ‘I’m really glad you could come.’ I replied: ‘Guido, I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.’

When I came back home my granny asked me if the art gallery was good. I replied: ‘Gran, I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.’

Did I use 'I wouldn’t miss it for the world/ ‘I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.’ correctly.

Thanks
Alexandro

Beeesneees, Guido is extremely rich. Perhaps he could spare us that money we talked about a few weeks ago. :slight_smile: He also claims that he trace he family lineage back to Charlegmagne, but I find that hard to believe.’

Yes, you used those phrases correctly.

Thanks Beeesneees,

I have written to Bonnyrocky as well. I also fail to understand why he was so offended by family relations. But now that I’m at it, what would you say: ‘My mother’s cousin’ or would you use 1st cousin?
Besides was my explanation about ‘could’ and 'could’ve correct. I made the comparison between those two, because it was the title of the thread. Would you look at it again for me, please?

Thanks
Beeesneees

What you would say to describe your relatives is a matter of personal choice. I suspect more people would understand the former though.

Thank you Beeesneees.

Please a teacher let me know whether my thinking is correct or not.

Thanks

In th4e first sentence, ‘has’ does not work with ‘I was invited’.

In the second sentences, ‘had’ is not needed. As a rule of thumb it is always best to use the simplest correct form of the verb.

In the third sentence ’ you have come’ changes the meaning from the original ‘you could (were able to) come’.

Your change to ‘I wouldn’t miss it’ in bot places lacks the power of feeling of the original ‘wouldn’t have missed it for the world’. In the second instance ‘I wouldn’t miss it’ is the wrong tense entirely. You would need, ‘I wouldn’t have missed it,’ because by now the event is over.