I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to Mr X, **who is appointed** Director

I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to Mr X, who is appointed Director of ABC Company.
I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to Mr X, who has been appointed Director of ABC Company.

Which is the correct sentence?

Thanks

3 Likes

I would suggest ‘has been appointed as Director…’

3 Likes

Hello, sir Torsten.

Please, sir, why you suggest the second sentence is the correct one?

Torsten, do we have to use the ‘as’ after ‘appointed’. I’m afraid, not. Usually, after elect, appoint etc we do not put ‘as’.

So, ‘I would like to express my heartfelt appreciation to Mr X, who has been appointed Director of ABC Company.’ is the correct option.

Compare: He was elected chairman of the committee.

1 Like

Since the present perfect tense form indicates a completed activity and since someone wants to express their appreciation, has been appointed is more suitable as suggested by Torsten.

2 Likes

Many thanks, Sir Anglophile.

1 Like

You are right. It seems that ‘has been appointed as’ might be much less common than ‘has been appointed’. Here is what I’ve found on another forum: “If you look for ‘appoint’ in online English-English dictionaries like Merriam-Webster, Longman, Collins, Macmillan or others you’ll see both cases where ‘as’ is used and those where ‘as’ is omitted. To me absence of ‘as’ makes the appointment sound that much more solemn and serious, i.e. its more formal. But I guess its a matter of style and personal preference and both options can be used interchangeably.”

3 Likes

I agree, Torsten. Both are found used, so we may accept them. Thanks.

2 Likes