I strongly feel it is important that each of us have a responsibility to play in containing the virus

When I look at the chaotic situation of the world today due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis, I strongly feel it is important that each of us have a responsibility to play in containing the virus.

1. Should it be “has” instead?
  2. Can the sentence be improved?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Looking at the chaotic situation the world is in today due to the coronavirus crisis (COVID-19), I think it is very important that each of us (should) play a role in containing the virus.

It’s a subjunctive so the verb is either should play or play.

2 Likes

The original text “have a responsibility to play”, which @Torsten corrected, appears to be a combination of “have a responsibility” and “have a role to play”. The combination seems to lose both meanings, but perhaps vaguely implies a responsibility to take action.

In general, I wonder if the text reflects what the author meant. “Have a responsibility” could mean to have a responsibility assigned to them such as in “Everyone should wear a mask.”
It could mean to have a sense of responsibility as in “I should wear a mask”.
But the author saying that he “strongly believes that it is important” leads me to think that he intended that everyone take responsibility for more concrete action as in “I’m going to wear a mask”.

Just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you. The correct phrase is “take responsibility” which can be classified as “strong collocation”.

1 Like