I pass in ten class

Hello!
How can I correct this sentence:‘As you know, I pass in ten class at high school and my sister pass in third class and she has much homework to do.’
Thank you in advance for you support!

Maybe you mean “As you know, I have passed the tenth grade at high school and my sister has passed third grade and she has much homework to do.”

Hi, I’ve been racking my brains for an answer to this question since last night :slight_smile:

I’m pretty sure Antonella25 means something like:

As you know, I will be going into 10th grade (next fall)…
As you know, I’ll be starting 10th grade (this fall)…

What would you suggest? Do you use the word “class” like that at all? As far as I know “form” would work too, but I’m not so sure about “class”.

Thanks!

Isn’t ‘a lot of’ more suitable than ‘much’, Luschen?

To me, both are fine, though “much” sounds a little formal and old-fashioned to me here.

Sometimes class is used to refer to the whole grade, but it is more common when used with senior, junior, sophomore, and freshman. “She is the best student in the whole sophomore class.” “Don’t forget, we have to get our senior class picture taken today.”

We don’t use “form” in the US - I suppose it is still common in the UK?

Thank you very much, Luschen.

Just to make sure, were my examples all right?

Also, vis-a-vis of the word “class” – would you use these:
I’m in the tenth class.
I have passed the tenth class.
I am going into the tenth class.

(Oxford dictionary deems “form” as old fashioned when used to refer to a grade. Perhaps it is more common in BrE to use the word “year” these days?)

None of these sound clear or natural to me. If you really wanted to use tenth, I maybe you could say “I am in the tenth grade class.”, but that could still mean a particular tenth grade class, not the class as a whole. “I am in the tenth grade English class, even though I am only a freshman this year.”

“I am in the sophomore class.” is much less ambiguous to me.

I should add that “class” with a year is also very common. “I am a member of the Humble High School class of 1986.”

Thanks again.

(I must admit this is somewhat confusing for me. I suppose much of it depends on the way the education system is organized in each country.

The reason why I insisted on “class” was that since we have a similar word in my language (clasa), native speakers of Romanian are tempted to choose this word over “grade”, “form”, “year” or whatever – just like the OP did.
When we first start going to school (to primary school), we say we are in the 1st class, then the next year we are in the 2nd class, and so on up until the 12th class when we finish high school.

Hope I’m making sense!)

Sorry to be a pain – last question:

Are these unclear / unnatural too?

Yes these are the most common ways to say this in the US ( in Canada) they say “grade 10”

I think words that sound similar but have different meanings are tough. I keep having to remember that largo means long not large in Spanish. Here is an interesting blog post on this topic. blog.francedc.org/faux-amis-when … -meanings/

Thank you, Luschen.

I once endeavoured to revive my school French, which had lain dormant for several years, but I shortly realised it was seriously messing up the language I’ve actually chosen to learn – English. Now I’m absolutely convinced that these faux amis were most to blame for it!

What we say:
I will be admitted to 10th class/10th standard (Class 10/Standard 10) next year.
I will be joining …
I will be promoted to …

What do you say, Luschen and Cristina?

Hi, to me you assume you will advance to the next grade, so saying promoted or admitted sounds odd. Also, assuming you have been with your same class that is rising grade by grade, you won’t really be “joining”, you will all be moving up together. So to me the most natural thing is “I will be in 10th grade next year.” or maybe “I will be going into 10th grade next year.” The alternate, if you are one of the unlucky ones who does not advance, is “I will have to repeat 9th grade next year.”