I need your help

Hello Torsten,

I help you how it began.

1.Question to Bez:
#45 (permalink) Sun Sep 15, 2013 17:04 pm I need your help Post Reply Reply with quote

2.Bez’s answer

3. Kati Sváby’s answer

Quote:(Bez)

Yes all sounds OK only their meaning is different.

4.Manoj 4419
#48 (permalink) Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:00 am I need your help Post Reply Reply with quote
Katy,

Only their meaning is different ? what is that ? will you please be more specific ?

5.Kati Sváby

#49 (permalink) Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:50 am I need your help
Hello,

The time of the events express different duration.

1. simple past + past continuous
Question:Where were you ? here ’were ’ expresses that he was somewhere but he isn’ there he completely finished being there, he is at home.
Answer: expresses that he was waiting for him he was in the middle of waiting at a particular moment in the past.

2.Present perfect + past continuous
Question: expresses a past action that isn’t finished it has the result in the present, when the question has been asked…
…Answer: expresses that he was waiting for him he was in the middle of doing at a particular moment in the past

3.Simple past + present perfect continuous
Question: Where were you ? here ’were ’ expresses that he was somewhere, but he isn’ there he completely finished being there, he is at home.
….Answer: Expresses a continuous action which continuing up to now

4.Present perfect + present perfect continuous
Question here the present perfect expresses a past action that isn’t finished it has the result in the present, when the question has been asked.
…Answer: an action that started in the past and is continuing now. So he has been waiting up to now when the question has been asked.

These are the first one. I tried to answer to the question asked in the #45 permalink, because I felt Bez’answer was not satisfactory “They all sound OK - though they all need a capital letter at the beginning.” Bot the capital letters were essential but the tenses which changed the sentences’ meaning.

Please to tell your opinion about my explanation. Was it incomprehensible. Could I confused my fellows?

Regargs.

_________________[/b]

Hello Torsten,

I understand you that it is a difficult thing to read so many letters and find the truth. So I try to help.

When you wrote the #58 permalink I was surprised ‘What has that got to do with it?’ I thought that you had supposed that I didn’t know the rule of concordance of tenses. I know them very well .

My French teacher used to tell me before my state examination in French - that my grammar embarrassed her. I like the grammar and the similarity between the two languages helped me lot.
What you asked us in your #58 permalink it is same in French. I can say that I am fed up with it. Until I live I won’t forget it.

I thought you asked this question because of my answer in the #49 permalink.

The difference that in the #49 permalink the simple past + past continuous are in two sentences that’s why the grammar rules is same when we speak about only a simple past. It differs when the simple past + past continuous are in ONE sentence.
If there is one verb in a sentence you are not obligatory to use the concordance of time. It depends on the context.

Disregard my explanation in the #pemalink 49 I answered the question which had been asked in the #45 permalink.”
(1)" where were you? I was waiting for you.”The question is in the simple past, and the other sentence is in continuous tense. I didn’t agree with this question, and I explained what is the difference among them. (altogether our fellow asked 4 questions . Bez ‘objection was “They all sound OK - though they all need a capital letter at the beginning.”

I said their meanings are different. Of course my fellows had asked me why their meanings are different? I tried to explain the differences between them.

Of course I know if the simple past and past continuous are in ONE sentence this is another horse.
In your sentence the simple past + past continuous are in one sentence: if in one sentence there are two verbs we have to use the concordance of time.
Your sentence: What were you doing when I called you? ( with a small mistake “you” is twice written)

It is the SIMPLIEST concordance of tense when a process is interrupted with an other action. If I could draw it, the process would be a horizontal line with an X somewhere which would show that the process was interrupted by another action which was a short action. the ‘x’ shows the interruption and it is always a simple past…

I was sleeping when the thunder woke me up.
I was being very calm when your letter stopped my calmness.

Regards.

Helo, kati and bezneees
As you (kati) just said … Until I live I won’t forget it.

My question is above phrase is similar to … As long as I live I won;t forget it?

“Until I live I won’t forget it.” doesn’t make any sense because, of course, Kati is already living. This is one of the many errors that Torsten was referring to.

Kati has mixed up two phrases and she should have said either:
Until I die, I won’t forget it. (More commonly: I won’t forget it to the day I die.)
or:
As long as I live, I won’t forget it. (More commonly: I won’t forget it as long as I live.)

This sentence might be grammatically possible but I doubt that any native speaker would ever say it. Besides that, your post contains a lot of other mistakes. Please don’t consider this remark as ‘a charge against you’. It’s just a fact.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Two girls walking[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello Poppycock,

Many thanks that you have understood my word for word translation from Hungarian into English.

Consequently, it was also mistaken, as English says in reverse order.
Until I die, I won’t forget it.

Be careful with Beeezeees because she is a gimlet-eyed lady, you are going to get it in the neck as me !

[/b]

Hello Torsten,

Please, if this sentence is grammatically good, I am not native so I can say it.
All the more so since that you can’t differentiate the charge from the fact.
What is a fact for you-for me an indigestible charge.
[b]Tell the truth and your head will be broken. I am waiting for your and Beeeseees’ next charge against me. According the Bible there are people who sell himself for a mess of pottage.
Okay, …
Why don’t you enumerate the mistakes of my explanations ? I asked this several times. Why do you also enumerate and refer to my spelling mistakes ?[/u]

What about your charge against me, Kati?
I will not sink to your level.
Your comment in message #86 is nothing short of libellous, and illustrates perfectly the reason why I decided several months ago to ignore your posts. I have never done anything except try to help you and explain things to you, and in return I have been accused of doing all sorts of things for which you have no proof (I know you have no proof because I haven’t done any of the things you accuse me of.)

By the way, the phrase ‘Until I live I won’t forget it’ doesn’t even make sense in Hungarian.

Kati, next time you answer a user’s grammar question, please tell them that you are neither a native speaker nor do you know for sure that what you are going to write is correct. You might also want to point out that you usually make a lot of mistakes. Yes, I know this might sound harsh but since it is the truth I think it’s only fair to share this information with anyone who is looking for support.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Building high[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello Bez,

I don’t know where do you get it from that “‘Until I live I won’t forget it’ doesn’t even make sense in Hungarian.”‘Until I live I won’t forget it’ doesn’t even make sense in Hungarian.
Google translation:

English: Until I live I won’t forget it.
Hungarian: Amíg élek, nem felejtem el.

translate.google.hu/#en/hu/Until … orget%20it

I never wanted to think to your level, and it happened.
Unfortunately,I have a lot of proofs.

You found fault with the EnglishClub, with Josef Essberger and not with me. You disputed not with me but Joseph Essberger.

Don’t you think your corrections misled the others?

[/b]

I see no proof there. Just misunderstanding and misinformation, which is typical of your style. I have every right to disagree with the people that for some odd reason you revere.

Here are some of the things you’ve said I’ve done and which you cannot produce proof of:

I haven’t attacked anyone.
I haven’t deleted any of your posts.
I haven’t moved any of your posts.
I haven’t lied.
I haven’t been personally abusive.

Finally, where’s the proof of this libellous comment, Kati? You don’t have any:
Be careful with Beeezeees because she is a gimlet-eyed lady, you are going to get it in the neck as me !

Beeezneees Ma’am,

As you said…This is one of the many errors that Torsten was referring to.

My question is,
Suppose you write …This is one of the many errors that Torsten has been referring to.
Does it make any defference ? if yes, what is that?

There is a subtle difference because of the change of tense, but in this example I don’t think it makes any significant difference to the meaning.

Hi Kati,

It is Sunday today, a day of rest. May I respectfully ask you to follow that precept…You get too agitated about these grammatical minutiae. I know you like to get things exact. And all credit to you. But please don’t confuse correction with criticism. The answers you receive to your questions are invariably given in good faith and based on solid knowledge.

Alan

Dear Alan,

Many thanks for your benevolence what you wrote to me on your day of rest.

I enjoy best your newsletters on the Forum, and when I had returned on the Forum my aim was to read and understand your newsletters of 2012.That’s why I never leave this Forum. When I read one of your newsletters my bad mood goes away. They all have a very authentic atmosphere.

I also like your corrections, for example I read - not once - when you corrected Torsten’s post , these corrections were very nice, humorous and benevolent. When I used to teach I corrected my students in the same way. To err is human.

Many thanks.

Best regards:
Kati Svaby

request VERB
rɪˈkwest pronunciation English; rɪˈkwest pronunciation American

(formal) to ask for something or ask somebody to do something in a polite or formal way
request something (from somebody)

-She requested permission to film at the White House.
-You can request a free copy of the leaflet.
áCall us now if you’d like to request a record for someone (= ask for it to be played on the radio).
-request to do something
-We were requested to assemble in the lobby.
-You are requested not to smoke in the restaurant.
request that… She requested that no one be told of her decision until the next meeting.
British English also) She requested that no one should be told of her decision.

• speech ‘Please come with me,’ he requested.

What is the difference between to ask sb to do sth and to request sb to do sth

The meaning is similar both of them only request (v) is more formal .

The Free Dictionary :
To ask (a person) to do something: The police requested her to accompany them.

Above you can see the difference.

Since when do we say that it is a mistake when from two words with identical meaning we choose the formal ones?

Why was mistake that I wrote:

Hello Torsten, please tell me why corrected it? “… I requested him to tell me …” … could you explain to me why ‘requested’ wasn’t good and why is good "…I asked him… good (???)

synonyms for request:

Sense 1:
request, bespeak, call for, quest
communicate, pass on, pass, pass along, put across

Sense 2:
request
ask

Sense 3:
request
wonder, inquire, enquire[b][/b

Regards.

Tomorrow I would like to ask you about:

Defining relative clauses:
1: The relative pronoun is the subject:

First, let’s consider when the relative pronoun is the subject of a defining relative clause.

We can use ‘who’, ‘which’ or ‘that’. We use ‘who’ for people and ‘which’ for things. We can use ‘that’ for people or things.

The relative clause can come after the subject or the object of the sentence. We can’t drop the relative pronoun.

For example (clause after the object of the sentence):
I’m looking for a secretary who / that can use a computer well.
She has a son who / that is a doctor.
We bought a house which / that is 200 years old.
I sent a letter which / that arrived three weeks later.
More examples (clause after the subject of the sentence):

The people who / that live on the island are very friendly.
The man who / that phoned is my brother.
The camera which / that costs £100 is over there.
The house which / that belongs to Julie is in London.

1. When the relative pronoun is the subject of a defining relative clause, we can never drop it. It is the Defining relative clauses
    a. relative pronoun is subject
    b. relative pronoun is object: In this case we can drop the relative pronoun if we want to. Again, the clause can come after the subject or the object of the sentence. Here are some examples:
    Add the phrase in brackets to the sentence using a relative clause. Use ‘that’ or no pronoun:
  1. We ate the fruit (I bought the fruit)
    We ate the fruit that I bought.
    Correct!

2. She bought the computer (her brother had recommended the computer)
    She bought the computer her brother had recommended.
    Correct!

3. He lost the money (I had given him the money)
    He lost the money I had given him.
    Correct!

4. We called the taxi company (Julie often uses the taxi company)
    We called the taxi company Juli often uses.
    Correct!

5. John met a girl (I used to employ the girl)
    John met a girl I used to employ.
    Correct!

6. Lucy called the doctor (my mother knows the doctor)
    Lucy called the doctor that my mother knows.
    Correct!

7. He brought a woman (I used to often meet the woman)
    He brought the woman that I used to often meet.
    Correct!

8. We employed the lawyer (Julie recommended the lawyer)
    We employed the lawyer that Julie recommended.
    Correct!

9. The fruit is on the table (I bought the fruit)
    THE FRUIT THAT I BOUGHT IS ON THE TABLE.
    Correct!

10. The wallet belongs to John (Lucy found the wallet in the garden)
    The wallet Lucy found in the garden belongs to John.
    Correct!

11. The food was delicious (David cooked the food)
    The food that Davis cooked was delicious.
    Correct!

12. The car was stolen (my father gave me the car)
    The car my father gave me was stolen.
    Correct!

13. The man was arrested (I reported the man to the police)
    The man I reported to the police was arrested.
    Correct!

14. The doctor was right (Lucy asked the doctor about her problem)
    The doctor that Lucy asked about her problem was right,
    Correct!

15. The waitress was very pretty (my brother dated the waitress)
    The waitress that my brother dated was very pretty.
    Correct!

16. The secretary is in the office (the boss likes the secretary)
    The secretary that the boss likes is in the office.
    Correct![/b]

Hello Torsten,

Can you explain to me why is obligatory to drop “that” in this sentence?

As Torsten wrote to me that my answers were full of basic grammar mistakes…

Am I right if I think we can say this sentence with “that” and without “that”?

As Torsten wrote to me (that) my answers were full of basic grammar mistakes…

Regards.

forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=26962

Hi,
I was in another forum when someone corrected my “unpolite” for “impolite”. Confused, I looked it up in the dictionary and found both words meaning exactly the same.
Now, which is really correct and/or more used?
Does it depend on whether it’s England or America?

answer:
1.-is there any “European English speaker” around? or am I the only one left using “unpolite”?
-unpolite

that’s what the dictionary has to say, but it doesn’t give any other clue.

1. Living in England, I’ve only ever heard “impolite”. But if you were to say “unpolite” people would understand, and wouldn’t think it impolite.
    Garry

Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people - W B Yeats
[/quote]

Can you explain why you say impolite and not unpolite or impatient instead of unpatient?
In: English Language, Word and Phrase Origins, Definitions and Word Differences [Edit categories]
Answer:
Words like impolite and impatient are derived directly from Latin words ( impolitus, impatiens), and in Latin the prefix in-, meaning “not,” assimilates to im- or ir- before roots beginning with those letters. The English prefix un- is used with native Germanic roots ( unearthly, unopened) or with borrowed Latin words which did not provide their own negatives in in-, like unnatural or unexpected.

So we have to use: Impolite and impatient instead of unpolite and unpatient !!![/b]