I’m a native fluent speaker of English

There are lots of adjective pairs that must be in a certain order to make sense. Listing even a dozen such examples doesn’t make any case whatsoever, because this is not one of them. “Fluent speaker” is just as much a compound noun that cannot be separated.

2 Likes

However, “native speaker” cannot be wonky because we just learned that it is a compound noun that cannot be separated.

2 Likes

I’m the original poster here. I asked a question about “out” vs “outside.” It has since gone down this rabbit hole regarding the order of “fluent” and “native,” which I see as pure subjectivity – preference – and nothing more. But that’s the only thing that’s even been proffered in support of one order vs the other. In essence: This one sounds better to me. When I suggested that this discussion was pointless, it was pointed out to me that other people here find it very useful and informative.

2 Likes

You need to read Alan’s post again. He clearly wrote that ‘a fluent native speaker’ is a wonky construction. You obviously refuse to see the difference between ‘a fluent native speaker’ and a ‘native speaker’.

2 Likes

I don’t refuse to see anything. “Fluent speaker” and “native speaker” are both perfectly valid. Both “fluent” and “native” modify “speaker” equally well. The order you put them in is purely preference. “Wonky” isn’t any sort of objective standard.

Nor is using both of them together redundant, as it is entire possible for a fluent speaker to not be native and it is also possible for a native speaker to not be fluent. I’ve met a lot of native speakers who can make no valid claim to fluency.

Is it upside down or downside up?

2 Likes

I am an American who was a TOEFL instructor, both here and abroad. I know this is an old thread, but EVERYONE who commented was technically incorrect. They are not interchangeable, but it is not simply preference. The correct term would be either:

1. A “nativeLY fluent English speaker” is a person who has learned English after beginning life speaking another language. For instance, an American child who began life learning only English, but later (by completion of Vorschule, or any other milestone) speaks German with the same vocabulary and accent as a “regular” German person of a similar age/experience level. Frederik Pleitgen is a pretty good example. He speaks accent-free non-regional English. My own American accent is almost identical to his, probably because my parents have 2 different very distinct accents; I grew up in a very different region, far from either. ALSO: Native, as a modifier is an adverb NOT an adjective.

Or

1. A “fluent English speaker” may even have a very heavy accent, and/or make false friends or idiomatic mistakes. The will rarely be totally misunderstood, though. They may be very advanced in their knowledge and rarely make any mistakes, even in the most obscure slang; but they will immediately be recognized as a foreigner. Most Skandinavians and journalists tend to fall into this category.

Or

1. A “native English speaker”. Self explanatory. A person who speaks a language natively needs no modifier. They likely only speak English, if they’re American LOL. Their accent and vocabulary will likey vary widely because America is huge, with several distinct linguistic cultures.

That is why Out/Outside are used differently, depending on region. Technically, for purposes of instruction, the positional/directional rule is true. . . That being said, they are not used that way uniformly. The positional rule is likely to apply most frequently to closed structural boundaries, but it varies a lot. “It’s raining/snowing/hot/cold, etc.) out” are definitely heard throughout almost all of the Southwest, Intermountain and Western parts of the U.S., and sometimes in the south. The reason for this is that it’s inferred by context–weather happens outside. Incidentally, “Going Out” has the connotation of dating in some regions, but not all. Ex: “We had been going out for 3 years, when we got engaged.” Texas has a lot of variables that are not really heard elsewhere, also. Also, areas where there is a very heavy, old German influence. Here, in Lancaster, PA, “Dutchy” natives use many idioms that are translated almost directly, using German word order with English words. . . making NO SENSE to most other Americans. They are still native speakers.

1 Like