"I know that you have been thinking about breaking up with your girlfriend in order to date Kate Wilson. ......"

"I know that you have been thinking about breaking up with your girlfriend in order to date Kate Wilson. I can't tell you whether that is the right answer or not but I can tell you that the grass may appear greener on the other side but it is just as hard to .....," Willy told his 16-year-old son. (*) plant (*) water (*) observe (*) mow

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://english.best/questions/12199,i-know-that-you-have-been-thinking-about-breaking-up-with-your-girlfriend-in-order-to-date-kate-wilson-i-cant-tell-you-whether-that-is-the-right-answer-or-not-but-i-can-tell-you-that-the-grass-may-appear-greener-on-the-other-side-but-it-is-just-as-hard-to-___-willy-told-his-16-year-old-son/
1 Like

The correct answer is “mow”, but it was only a straight shot. Please, could you give me an explanation about it? Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi @Cristovam! Your answer is correct, of course.

The phrase “the grass is greener on the other side” refers to the feeling that someone else has it better than you do. Often it seems like other people are living easier lives than us, and we find ourselves envying them. The addition, “but it’s just as hard to mow,” means that no matter how good they have it, they also have their own problems, just like any lawn needs upkeep (and mowing grass is an activity that few people look forward to).

In other words, something different than what you have now may seem more attractive, but it always comes with its own set of problems.

2 Likes