I have some homework. I ought to/ need to finish

1. I have some homework. I ought to/ need to finish.

2. I go to school by bike in fine weather. On rainy days, I go in/ by my father’s car.

3. I am so tired. I think I will be/ am going to be sick.

4. You want to watch the sky in / during sunset.

5. Is the conference on a weekday?

6. I don’t know what he is doing at/ in this moment.

2 Likes
  • I have some homework. I ought to/ need to finish.

{I have some homework I ought to finish. I have some homework I need to finish.}

• I go to school by bike in fine weather. On rainy days, I go in/ by my father’s car.
    {I go to school by bike in fine weather. On rainy days, I go in my father’s car. - But more natural to say “On rainy days, my father takes me in his car.”}

• I am so tired. I think I will be/ am going to be sick.
    {“going to be sick” means “going to vomit”. Maybe you mean “I think I am getting sick. / I think I am coming down with something.”}

• You want to watch the sky in / during sunset.
    {You want to watch the sky at sunset.}

• Is the conference on a weekday?
    {correct}

• I don’t know what he is doing at/ in this moment.
    {I don’t know what he is doing at this moment. / I don’t know what he is doing at the moment.}

5 Likes

Dear Luschen Sir,

Thanks for your corrections in the above sentences asked by our learner. In this I have a doubt in one sentence, I have some homework. I ought to/ need to finish. Shall we write the sentence like this Sir, As I have some homework, I need to finish.
You want to watch the sky in / during sunset. If we write like this " You want to watch the sky in Sunset instead of at (Proposition). Please correct my English, if you find mistakes in my writing sir.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

3 Likes

Hi, these are my thoughts:

“As I have some homework, I need to finish.” sounds odd to me. It sounds like you have to finish something else you are doing so that you can then start doing your homework. If that was the case, it would be more clear to say something like “I have some homework to get to, so I need to finish here.” If it is indeed your homework that you need to finish, my previous suggestions are better, or “I have some homework that I need to finish.”

“In sunset” is never correct. “During sunset” I suppose might be ok if you are stressing the entire time period - “During sunset, the sky first turns pinkish, then red, then orange and eventually turns completely black.” But for most uses, we say “at sunset”.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your clarification in this subject/regard, Sir Luschen. I feel that I disturbed you sir. To improve my English is my goal.

S.Shanthi

2 Likes

Oh, please don’t feel that you have disturbed me in any way Shanthi. Your questions were excellent and I enjoyed having the chance to help you in a small way to achieve your goal.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I hope that you will also help me if I have any doubts in future,Sir Luschen.

S.Shanthi

1 Like