I expect you (will- are going to) hear about the news?

Hello

Choose

" I expect you (will- are going to) hear about the news. it is featured in the press

Both are acceptable so further context is needed in order to decide whether one would be a better choice than the other.

I just copied the question from the book :smiley:

OK one more >>

correct

He was snapped by a disease .

Not in any way that I can understand it.

a. To give way abruptly under pressure or tension: With so many people crowding onto the platform, its supports snapped.
b. To suffer a physical or mental breakdown, especially while under stress: feared that the troops would snap from fatigue.
Maybe that helps.
Regards.

Hello, Coach!
Please see my sentences below. Are those correct? Thanx a lot! : )

1. Would like to know who will be the one to pick up the video camera for tomorrow’s event.
  2. Who is the assigned person to pick up or pull out the video camera?
  3. May I know whom to request the materials that we are going to use next week?
  4. To whom should I send my requisition of materials for upcoming event?
  5. Would want to know what time your staff would come in to receive the gifts.

Teacher, could you give me a better sentence than my above samples? Thank you very much.

1. Needs a subject. (We would like to know,… I would like to know…, Mr Todd would like to know…, The Management Team would like to know… etc.)
  2. ‘pick up’, not ‘pull out’
  3. May I know from whom to request…
  4. …for the upcoming event.
  5. As 1, this requires a subject.

Not in any way that I can understand it.

Yes, so I want to correct it in a way to be understood

we usually put a word that is similar to a word in the sentence

for example

extinguish ---- distinguish

In that case, some instructions as to what is expected would have been useful with the initial questions :wink:

‘I expect you will hear about the news’ is probably what is expected for the first statement.

‘Snapped’ is the word which does not work in the second statement. Now that you know which word needs to be replaced, can you suggest an appropriate word?

Why?

I can say " infected" but I want a better one

some more questions

Also correct

1- I am not sure how well I did on the test at school today but I think I might pass.

And choose

1-The annual (floods-rainfall-droughts-storm) in Cairo is less than 3 cm .This is the total amount
2-Building the high dam means that the Nile Vally would be (submerged-dried-flooded-watered)

And

Can we use “only If” in the middle of a sentence ??

I will do this only if you come .

That is what I infer from the second sentence, based on my experience of the language

Why? What’s wrong with ‘infected’. It’s one of the best possible options.

‘… how well I did in the test.’

Which would you choose?

Sorry, what do you mean by “the second sentence” >> do you mean "it is featured in the press " ??

I thought that may be the answer but I searched through google and I found “On” not “in”…

1- floods or rainfall (but I don’t know exactly what the sentence will mean )
2-watered

I think “infected” means that the disease caught another person then spread to me for example>>

I wanted the sentence to be talking about the first person not the second

And

Can we use “only If” in the middle of a sentence ??

I will do this only if you come .

Yes.

The number of hits something gets on Google is not exactly a reliable indicator of what preposition to use.

1. Rainfall is correct - the total amount of rain which usually falls within one calendar year in Cairo.
  2. I suspect you are thinking of ‘watered’ in terms of water being provided to dry areas. However, flooded is more likely to be the correct term. The basin of the valley would be flooded with the water which gathers behind the dam.

How about:
He was struck down by a disease.
or just
He was diseased.

Otherwise it would depend on what the disease did to him.

He was affected by a disease.
He was crippled by a disease.
He was bedridden by a disease.

Yes - no capital letter is required for ‘if’.

Is it cubic cm ??

OK Thanks

OK then choose

you can take photos in the museum ( if -only if-unless) you don’t use flash.

It is talking about the NILE VALLY >> we used to have floods in Egypt but after building the dam we don’t>>

In the first sentence I still didn’t take in why you used (will)

please explain further what is the difference

No. Rainfall is measured in depth, not area.

Either is acceptable. Use of ‘only’ emphasises the requirement not to use flash.

I should have taken more note of the location. :slight_smile:
I presume you mean the Aswan dam (the High dam) which enlarged Lake Nasser? In that case, as its function was to control floods and drought, then you are right that ‘watered’ is the likely possible answer - but you would have to understand the geographical aspects to get the answer right. From a linguistic point of view there are a number of acceptable answers.

I snapped this bird in mid-strut on Lake Nasser: