I don't know the difference between 'round' and 'around'

Hello everybody.

I’m student studying English.

“She is travelling round Europe”

I saw this sentence in my text book.

“She is travelling around Europe”

Is it correct sentence?

I don’t know well about the difference between round and around.

Could you teach me my question?

Both are correct and mean the same thing. ‘Round’ used in this sense is more common in the UK than it is in the USA.

Thank you! Beeesneees :slight_smile: Your reply is very helpful for me!!

There is a difference of opinion on this.

If one has a regular route, then it’s legitimate to use round in that sentence. A doctor in the hospital does rounds of his patients every morning, and a drunkard may make his round of bars,

However, unless there is a sense that one is traveling approximately in a circle, or one is doing laps on a route, you would want to use around, which has a meaning of “here and there” ear some center of travel. A journalist might travel around Europe for CNN, covering breaking news. A journalist picking up news of bankruptcy filings, contracts opened for bidding, arrests, marriage licenses, divorces, births, etc, would travel round to various offices to collect these news items.obituaries,

Admittedly, it’s a subtle difference…

It’s not a ‘difference of opinion’, it’s just a distinction which doesn’t exist in the UK.

Journalists readily travel round Europe.

From OLD
Around and round can often be used with the same meaning in British English, though around is more formal: The earth goes round/around the sun. ◇ They live round/around the corner. ◇ We travelled round/around India. ◇ She turned round/around when I came in. In North American English only around can be used in these meanings.
Around, round and about can also sometimes be used with the same meaning in British English: The kids were running around/round/about outside. ◇ I’ve been waiting around/round/about to see her all day. In North American English only around can be used in these meanings. About or around can be used in both British English and North American English to mean ‘approximately’: We left around/about 8 o’clock.