I am what I am

Hi everyone

What is the meaning of “I am what I am” ? Is it the same thing as “I am who I am” to emphasize I am me, myself ?

“I am what I am,” emphasises that you are your own person. You have your own beliefs, traits, personality, etc. You cannot change that. Often it carries an implication that you make no apologies for being the way you are, and that you will celebrate the way you are.

Thank you Bee
So, Is it the same thing as “I am who I am” ? . Could you explain me a bit if they are different ?

I can’t say I’ve ever heard anyone use the term ‘I am who I am’ but to me there is a difference, in that ‘who I am’ indicates your identity whereas ‘what I am’ indicates your personality.

To be clear, I’m an atheist. This is where I find this phase is used. I agree that this phase is not very popular.
They ask me, ‘What is his name?’ what shall I say to them?” God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And he said, “Say this to the people of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”
From desiringgod.org/sermons/i-am-who-i-am

Hi Bee, according to your explanation, I suppose people tend to use “This is what I am” rather than “this is who I am” right ?
I’m kind, bad, greedy, I’m not here to live up your expectation so this I WHAT I am.
Could you think of any situation people would use “This is Who I am” ? I saw a book title named like that.
goodreads.com/book/show/157 … s-who-i-am

I can really only repeat the difference I’ve indicated above: that ‘what’ is to do with personality, whereas ‘who’ is to do with identity.
As such, I would have entitled that particular book, ‘I am what I am’ looking at the summary… but there is at least one other book available with that title, so perhaps that is the reason.

Bee, Thank you for your help.