How we became slaves?

I came to know how the Burmese became slaves to the British after reading the Lacquer Lady. ( Burmese Version )

The Lacquer Lady by F. Tennyson Jesse

If you have this book in English, please send a copy to me. mr.kyawminlwin@gamil.com. I’d be so happy to receive it.

kind regards.

Fryniwyd Tennyson Jesse, Lord Alfred Tennyson’s great niece, started her career as a journalist and was best known for her crime reporting and mystery novels. The Lacquer Lady then is a departure from her usual ventures. In this novel, she tells the story of the downfall of the Burmese kingdom in the 1880s. In her Preface to the novel, Jesse states, “To the late Rodway Sinhoe, expert in matters Burmese and ‘the Father of the Mandalay Bar’, I owe my first thanks, for it was he who told me the true story of the causes which led to the Annexation of Upper Burma --how it was ‘Fanny’ and her love affir, and not the pretext (justified as that would have been) of the Bombay-Burma Corporation that drove the Indian into action at last.”

Fanny Moroni, the protagonist of the novel is introduced to the reader as a young girl, the daughter of an Italian father and Burmese/British mother, at school in Brighton. She is called back to Burma as her parents have found favor at the court in Mandalay. She is accompanied on her return trip by the daughter of a missionary, Agatha Lumsden.
The author contrasts the characters and social positions of the two young women. Fanny is described as a rather shallow, but vivacious, young flirt, who is dazzled by the court at Mandalay. Agatha’s role is to be the comfort of her widowed father and a virtuous paragon for the British missionary community. She eventually marries her father’s young assistant, Edward Protheroe.

Jesse had access to members of the European Burmese community, some of whom were intimate with court life, so the details and descriptions of the Burmese court during the reign of its last monarch, King Thibaw, are vivid and memorable. I found this glimpse into a long, lost world the most intriguing and valuable aspect of the novel.

The story of the downfall of King Thibaw and Queen Supayalat, as related by Jesse, is no doubt accurate to some degree, but it seems highly colored by a British colonialist bias. Oddly the characters of Fanny and Agatha are more described than enlivened. The one character with dimensional being is Edward Protheroe who actually ponders and considers the situations before him.

Given the current situations in the erstwhile British colonies of Myanmar, Afghanistan, and Pakistan – this novel offers valuable historic insights into how we got here from there.

kind regards.

Now everybody the USA, the EU, the Japanese, the Chinese, the Korean, the Indian and etc. etc., all of them, marching again to Burma with alacritous welcome of the smart Burmese.

I’m just thrilled to be a slave again. he he.

kind regards.

To be a slave, perhaps neo-slave like my Great great grand father ( in the photo here ) who won OBE from the British.

I’m proud to be an awarded slave’s great great grand son. Lovely.
And I can get some OBE like award this time myself. Super.

An awarded slave. Wonderful.

kind regards.