How to use this forum?

Hi Jellykans. Your story is very similar to mine. I came here looking for some grammar reference and have been hanging around ever since. I have found that the official English teachers are pretty fast in answering the questions on the grammar and idioms forum but there are a lot of posts on the TOEFL forum asking for advice and corrections to 5 paragraph essays. I have concentrated my efforts there as the official teachers don’t really have enough time to get to all the essays. I always stress that I am not an official teacher (unlike yourself), but my efforts are almost always appreciated by the ESL learners.

to take a successive study on English grammar and to try to develop the sense are the best ways to learn English grammar.

Dear Mr. Torsten Daerr,

Subject: I will have to discontinue my English lessons temporarily during this upcoming Chinese New Year.

This year, the upcoming Chinese New Year or Lunar New Year falls on January 23, 2012, so I regret to inform you that I will have to discontinue my English lessons online temporarily. The reason is that the Internet shop boss whom I rely on for my English lessons online is going on holiday during this Lunar New Year festival.

The boss of the Internet shop is holidaying from January 22, 2012 to January 24, 2012. When he comes back, I will continue with my English lessons online again.

During the Lunar New Year holidays, I will do my English lessons offline by myself. I will make use of my daily English newspapers, English grammar textbooks and so on so as to substitute for my English lessons online.

Before concluding, I would like to thank you for your support and guidance. Besides, I look forward to resuming my English lessons online when the Internet shop boss comes back from his holidays. Thank you.

Best wishes,
Bhikkhu1991a.

Hi All,
This is Harry i really sorry because i was out of this course due to some personal problems so now i am back with full enthusiasm to learn English. Thanks

Regards,
HarrY

Hi All, i want to know what is the writing style for any professional E-Mails because i fell very tough to writing office mail. so please consult me easy and effective way to reading and writing mails… i really appreciate your assistance… Thanks

Dear Bhikku,

Thank you very much for keeping us up to date. We wish you a great holiday season and look forward to your return to the forum.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: How far is it from the office to the metro stop?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Good day everybody.i am so happy to find this site to improve my speaking skill.i’m an Iranian english teacher.i hope ican be agood friend of you all.

Hi

I am a communication trainer and have always heard and thought that its correct to say “last evening” and not “yesterday evening”, until recently when i heard that last evening was incorrect. Please help me with a logical
explanation that i can take back to my class.

‘yesterday evening’
‘last night’
I’m sorry I can’t help with a ‘logical explanation’ but those are the correct phrases.

Hi Mr. Torsten,

I’m interested in several ways to improve my English. Sometimes I get confused and I think that if I keep taking exercises intermediate, and if I do good my score will increase, but unfortunately it’s not like I though. My score was 96/33 (or similar) then I took an intermediate exercise and my score went down, now it’s 83.62. I feel so bad. I want to get my score to 100, so please tell me what exercise I should take. Now I’m afraid to take any exercise because my score might go down.
I’m totally confused about how the score works.

Rosario

hello evry1!m fatima from kashmir…i have a M.A in english…m heading towards teaching profession…i have been appointed as +2 lecturer…during my demo students asked me such questions which were really unanswerable…can ny1 help me out? I need to know how to deal wid such classroom situations?

Start by using good English yourself. It doesn’t look as if you’ve attained an MA in English from your writing.

Sentences always begin with a capital letter.
They ebnd in a full stop or equivalent mark, not an ellipsis (3 dots).
everyone, not evry1
Proper names begin with a capital letter. That includes proper names of people and places.
The pronoun ‘I’ is always written as a capital letter.
I’m or I am, not m
anyone, not ny1
with, not wid.

This is how your message should have looked:
Hello everyone, I’m Fatima from Kashmir. I have an M.A. in English and I’m heading into the teaching profession. I have been appointed as a +2 lecturer. During my teaching practice students asked me questions which I was unable to answer. Can anyone help me out? I need to know how to deal with such classroom situations.

Hello,
Thanks for pointing out all these mistakes, i have made.I know all the grammatical rules that you have mentioned but i still wrote my message so ignorantly.
I know that a sentence ends with a full stop but instead of placing a stop against my sentence,i ended each sentence with ellipsis.I made a frequent use of contractions and i also know that M.A has a vowel sound but still i placed ‘a’ infront of it and so on.Actually i always write in hurry so i have become used to such informal style of writing.I certainly need to improve my writing skills.
Please point out if i have made any mistakes in this note as well.Would love to learn from you.

You have spacing errors throughout your work. A space should always follow a full stop and a comma. Your work becomes far more difficult to read without the correct spacing.
Despite the fact that you say you know all these rules, you continue to use a lowercase ‘i’ instead of the pronoun ‘I’. This particular pronoun, should always be a capital letter, regardless of its placement in the sentence. Also ‘in front’ is two words.

salam,
What is a spacing error?can you please elaborate on it.

You have missed out spaces when you type.
A space should always follow a full stop and a comma. It should also follow a question mark and a few other punctuation marks too.
When you type your message, after every full stop, comma and question mark, you should use the space bar before going on to the next word. If you are handwriting then you should manually leave a space before the next word.
This first example contains a spacing error. The second example does not. Can you see the difference?
What is a spacing error?Can you please elaborate on it.
What is a spacing error? Can you please elaborate on it.

Hello Beeesneees,

I want to know;
1: what is the most proper and formal way of writing a message?
2: In Kashmir, majority of people tend to be informal in their writing. Generally when they chat with their friends or send messages to them, they ignore the grammatical formalities (as I did in my earlier messages).so, is it mandatory to follow all the grammatical rules when we chat with our friends and so on?
3: can we make use of contractions?

Regards,
Fatima

If you are speaking about writing messages on this forum, then I suggest you read the guidance here, especially the last part about chat/SMS style writing.
english-test.net/community/i … ing_skills
I suggest that if you want to improve your English, you should use correct English when you write.

I think Fatima needs to deliberately discourage and avoid using the chat/sms language, as she is a teacher, particularly at a higher secondary level. Unless teachers become emulative models, we cannot expect students to learn things properly. I hope you will agree with me, Bev.

Please review my essay and let me know where I am and how many score can I get in this essay? which kind of mistakes that I need to improve?

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
“ Some people say television has left family members unable to communicate with one another. “

Actually I do not agree with this statement. I don’t think so that television has left family members unable to communicate with another, but according to my view it is the way to come close to each other.

There are so many positive points that television can do in every family. Like all family members are sit together to watch any TV show and they can discuss about that show or what happen with each member in his or her school, office, class, etc. The second positive point is if they watch some news channel or any scientific channel they can collect general knowledge and discuss about that. It is also useful in outside to involve in group talking. They can be in contact with the world. They can also communicate with people with different talk. Television presents some comedy shows which make laugh in family. Sometimes by watching some talent show parents can recognize their children’s latent and ability. So there are so many points that prove that television can not make unable family members to communicate each other.
There are also negative point which affect family communication and also character and children’s thought like there are most of the movies presents much more violence which always hide in someone’s mind and sometime it affect family and family members go far away to each other. By cartoon channel children always have imaginary character and they try to follow them sometimes it became a big problem for parents.

So there are so many positive and negative things are related to television but if it is used appropriately then it became beneficial to keep in touch with each other and it is also become to communicate with each other and outside as well.