How to learn English?

Hello Feng,
Welcome to the forums. When you have a specific question about English, please post it. We’ll be happy to try to help. Meanwhile take a look at the discussions, lessons and exercises for general advice.

Hi Torsten,

I have try so many ways to speak real English, and often proved abortive. but what seems to work for me is learning by speaking, as well as watching movie and listening
to story, news, and so on. as reading is not really helping me! listening is one of the most effective way for me. I notice how this methods has help improved my English. Yes, this is what works for me.
Thanks.
Rosemary.

Hi tortsen,
good day! I’m just new in this forum. To answer your question, well my way of learning english is not just by reading novels and watching movies. I practice it by joining different forums to help me improve my writings and grammar. It’s not a magic that when you hear or read something in english means you can apply it on your own sentence/ thoughts. I still find it difficult to express my feelings, to share my ideas in english. So here i am, still practicing. Hehe

hello torsten,

I read books very often but try to speak English as mush as i can. I read my text books but for me its difficult to remember the vocabularies and between studies or reading (any novel), the use of dictionary breakdown the tempo. As i try to talk in English language but i become confuse due to lack of vocabularies, it becomes difficult to share ideas. Give me suggestion how to learn vocabs more and more.

Hi Urzfriend,

Please note that the word ‘vocabulary’ is usually used in its singular form. Also, the word “I” is always capitalized. As for improving your English, here is how: How to learn English? (30/30 Challenge)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: The laptop on the round table[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi! Torsten
My own way of learning English is reading and listening of newspaper articles (Voice of America), doing your difficult (but admirable) TOEIC tests (I like it very much), reading scientific articles. I try to study phrases, not isolated (single) words. And I have subscribed to some e-mail based newsletters. On my opinion I need to improve my English by speaking with native one and by writing more essay.
Issa1

Dear Torsten! My main problem is a listening test.That is because I stop on the first ununderstood word or phrase and the rest of the text goes by.My remedy:I’m watching something wery interesting,something what can keep my attention for a long time.In my case it is usually a tennis match played by my favourite tennisplayers. There is a very sympathetic couple of TV commentators on English Eurosport channel.They are amusing and polite. I send You my greetings. Alicja1

Dear Torsten! My main problem is a listening test.That is because I stop on the first ununderstood word or phrase and the rest of the text goes by.My remedy:I’m watching something wery interesting,something what can keep my attention for a long time.In my case it is usually a tennis match played by my favourite tennisplayers. There is a very sympathetic couple of TV commentators on English Eurosport channel.They are amusing and polite. I send You my greetings. Alicja1

Topic:How to learn English?/Torsten

Now, I learn English from your lesson, but before I read it in the TOFEL book.
I write English slowly, and to speak very slowly. I think that I fear to have false sentences in my speaking.
I usually watch English films, but I don,t focus them.
Do you have recommendations to help me?

Dear Alicja,

I suggest you read this: How to learn English? (30/30 Challenge)

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Talking about TV set prices[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Mr. Torsion,

It is beneficial to know, How I can improve my English learning. Here is something that I do for improving my English. I had habit to read English newspaper particularly “Editorial page” daily. By doing this i get two benefit first i can improve my vocabulary as well as my knowledge. I also watch English movies not daily but a periodic interval.
In my free time I ready some small story books, novels and also Music.

1 Like

It is not the tough task to learn more about english.You know how much time you can dedicate to learning English, but a short time each day will produce better, longer-term results than a full day on the weekend and then nothing for two weeks.Joining a short intensive course could produce better results than joining a course that takes place once a week for six months.

1 Like

Just Read English news papers and watch English movies daily

1 Like

I think Just reading newspaper and watching English movies daily is not enough to improve you English. While reading newspaper we can improve vocabulary and also can get some idea to write on particular topic. but for writing and speaking we also need correct grammar knowledge. So I think it is quit useful to use dictionary while reading.
By using dictionary we can know not only the meaning or use of a particular word as well as their transformation like adj into adv or synonyms.

1 Like

Hi Torsten
when I startet learning English, I read English books every morning. There are English books from Penguin-Readers in different level. So English-learning was funny. I used a dictionary book for translation. But now I have been using an online dictionary. The best I found for German native speakers was “dict.cc”. I join an English class too for speaking. A good practice is to write a short text in English and use a translator to translate it in your own language. But many translator are worse.

1 Like

I think reading English would help. By reading you could pick up vocabulary, spelling and grammar(ie;different parts of speech etc…).

1 Like

Hello Torsten,
I want to share my experience. I am from India and here English has been made a great hype. But for me it is just another language as my own native language. From my experience I can say in a single line that a language is best learnt when a person lives in its atmosphere. So if people around you speak always English and you also speak with them then you’ll learn English. When I was in my high schools I was good at writing English but I was not that good in listening and speaking it. When I went to college I started watching English movies but I could hardly make out what the dialogues are. One of my friends suggested me to use subtitles. I tried that but I noticed that subtitles are disturbing my movie watching experience. So I decided I should watch without subtitles and I used a headphone for clear audio. This helped me a lot and now I can clearly listen each and every word in the movies. Now I am shifting myself to hear fast rap songs.
I also made some friend circle and we had talks in English. The feeling of environment of English makes it better.
But still there is something that is needed to build up vocabulary. For that reading habbits should be developed.
This website is helpful for both vocabulary building and preparing for tests like GMAT, GRE, etc.
Furthermore it also teaches the minute details of using correct English.
The best feature of this website is that you get all your answers very quickly on the forum and it’s free.
With Regards,
Santak.

1 Like

Hi Torsten,
According to my experiences, if i listen an mp3( for example a short talking about different subject especially in bbclearningenglish.com), i can speak fluently, but when i cut my daily activity i can not speak like past, i think listening without reading( but must to be prepared on the text before) makes my vocabulary mind rich,
on the other hand in my country there is not much more people thaht speak English in daily life, so i cant practice my speaking. i working in a international company so i must speak all time fluently (for example sometimes a visitor came to our branch and i must talk with him/her in English),
so that what do you strongly recommend to me? :wink:

1 Like

Dear Torsten and students,

I started reading newspapers, magazines, and any information that interested me on the internet. Then I found out that public libraries presented audio books. I have listened to numerous audio books. I enjoyed listening audio books, and it improved my listening skill. For most of the time, I spend my time reading but never practice writing. Now, I am having trouble in writing. I guess I should have balanced it out instead of focusing on one thing only. Communication was not easy at all, but with a continuous practice I am getting better.
I do not believe there is such a technology or technique that will allow a student to master the language in a short period, especially for a student who is English a second language. Therefore, my New Year goal will be to stay in focus on improving my writing skills.

I would also like to take online writing class if you recommend one.
I will be more than happy to get feedback on my errors.
Thank you.
Kkebe.

1 Like
1 Like