How to improve speaking skill?

I’ve been learning English for years and working in English speaking country. I find myself not being able to speak very well. Over the years, my technical knowledge in my industry I work in has improved but not my speaking and soft skills. My confidence level in speaking English fluctuates depending on who I speak to. If I’m speaking to Englishman or people who has better command in English than me I often find my English is very poor and my confidence level drops. I find myself giving more attention on accent and sometimes can’t even speak very simple sentence. If I am speaking to people whose English is not as good as mine, I can speak quite fluently. How do I overcome this? I would say my listening skill is quite good but I cannot speak long sentence and compound sentence. How do I improve my command in speaking English? Help!!!

Hi David,

Have you tried recording your own voice?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Do you know if we’re going to get Christmas bonuses?[YSaerTTEW443543]

No. Never have been. Do you think that’ll help? If so, in which way?

You obviously lack self-confidence. This means, your subconscious mind tells you that your English language skills are not as good as they should be and as a result you think that you are an inferior person. When you record yourself, you have a better chance to assess and analyze your own speaking skills. This approach helps you identify areas where you might want to improve and it also shows you the progress you are making over a period of time.

Let me know what you think.
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Most of the books in this library are very old, aren’t they?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Thanks for your advice. Having stayed a few years in the UK, I’ve observed that people are judged by their accent and that probably have a big bearing on my psychology. On the other hand, I think I need to speak more in order to improve my English. Being an introvert, I find myself difficult to start a conversation with someone whose first languague is English. It is like catch 22 situation. Honestly, it’s hard and I know I’ve to do something because I am a professional working in a English speaking country.

What do you do in the UK?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Can I borrow that book after you’ve finished with it?[YSaerTTEW443543]

I’m an accountant.

And how often do you meet new people?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Do you think anyone is going to come and ask us what we want to eat?[YSaerTTEW443543]

What do you mean by ‘new people’? I do meet client or friend quite often but because of my poor in speaking english, I find myself can’t express myself the way I want to be and my thought are not fully expressed as much as I want to be.

How do you measure your level of English? I mean, who told you that your English is poor? Maybe you are the only person who thinks your English is poor? There is much more to a person than their level of English. Learning is a process and you usually learn a language as long as live even if it’s your mother tongue.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Why is Martha leaving work early?[YSaerTTEW443543]

my english level is definitely lower than the level I should have in my profession. I can’t express all my thought and my feeling the way I want. I can understand english very well but my speaking is no way near to my listening skill. I can talk a wide range of topics very well in my mother tongue but I can’t speak at least 10% of what I can speak in my mother tongue.

I would agree with Torsten’s advice since some of my friends (native American English speaker) told me last time. It would help a lot and it’s better if you can repeat the native speaker’s transcript to compare. Of course, it takes us a lot of time to speak and listen over and over.

My 2-cent! :smiley:

Basing on the way you write, you are actually good. So, I would agree that it’s all about your confidence… Why don’t you try conversing with someone may it be your friend or an acquaintance, but I would suggest someone who doesn’t really know you so that you’ll be able to work on your self-esteem. You can also try online tutorials… for suggestions try this… teacherkae.com… they have demo classes for you to check out. You can also ask for me there to help you out since I already know what your problem is. :smiley: