How sexy is English?

Admittedly, the idea for the topic was nicked somewhere else

While English may sound romantic to some, it might as well have an erotic appeal to others. It’s not that I have ample erotic experience with birds from many and diverse exotic places, but I’d argue that German doesn’t sound particularly erotic whereas let’s say Spanish or Italian does.

What appeal does English have to an ESL speaker? And do you native speakers find other languages more eroticising?

1 Like

English is as sexy as they come :slight_smile:

Seriously though, as time passes, not only do I learn new stuff about the language, but I also come to more fully appreciate the stuff I already know, including the sexy talk. It’s as though your connection with the language is getting closer and stronger.

You know how to talk sexy? WOW. What is it, anyway? I’ve never heard of it. I’ve heard of ‘dirty talk’,perhaps they are the same?

The sexy word for Malay is “seksi” and in Japanese it’s “セクシー(sekushi-)”. So I am guessing the idea of sexy comes from English.

BBC English is not sexy. American Midwestern English is not sexy. A Canadian accent is very sexy when coming from a woman, and so are some Irish and Scottish accents.

The standard German of the area around Frankfurt, Bonn and Cologne is very sexy when coming from a woman. The German spoken in Hamburg or Leipzig is not sexy.

Italian can never sound sexy. Spanish doesn’t sound sexy very often. None of those languages that sound like “bubba-da bubba-da bubba-da” sound sexy. The Spanish of “Barthelona” may sound sexy to gay men; I don’t know.

I beg to differ. At least a small portion of it. I love Steve Leonard’s, one of BBC wildlife presenters. I don’t think his is the standard one that I am used to but I just love it, maybe it’s because of his personality on TV.

And oh yes, Colin Firth also has a gorgeous accent!

Here you can watch the brave Steve inside the lion’s den.

If anyone can tell me what accent he has, I’d appreciate it.

The first time I watched this my heart was pounding so hard, wait, it was not the accent, it was the lions! :lol:

You should work in an office full of Spanish women. Erotic sounds don’t come to mind in my mind. More, bellowing. Maybe some chaps like that though.

I agree. I remember this female that had an irresistibly sexy accent which was Irish. She was a girlfriend of Seinfeld (from the sitcom Seinfeld). Even Seinfled mentions that she’s got a cute accent.

Does anyone else remember her?

No, but I remember Seinfeld’s date with the otherwise stunningly beautiful woman who had “man hands”.

ROFL, great episode!

I wish they’d get back together and make another few seasons.

daemon

If memory serves, that same female with the Irish accent later starred on “Frasier” as Daphne Moon.

To answer the question at the top of this topic, I’ll ask another question:

Is there anything more romantic than hearing Butthead say, “Hey, baby! Ahuhhuhhuhhuh”?

I rest my case.

Hi guys

Not sure about the Seinfeld series, I never was a big fan.

But Jane Leeves, who plays Daphne Moon, is from Ilford London, and speaks with a Manchester accent with a slight Salford twang in Frasier.

To me not at all sexy. Maybe she did an Irish accent in Seinfeld, not sure. If you could find me a link would be great?

I find the natural accent of Kelly McDonald (the actress from No Country for Old Men) sexy;

kewego.de/video/iLyROoaftll7.html

If you want a good film with an accent close to her original, then watch Gosford Park.

The soft Scottish female accent just does something for me.

cheers stew.t.

that (Gosford Park) was a cool picture

I loved how that one dude was such an @ss that two people wanted to murder him – on their own (not as partners in crime).

lol

The sexiest female accent for me is Mila Kunis’ accent. She played Jackie in That 70’s show. She has that shrill shrieky sexy voice. It really suits her shallow as hell character.

jp.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3sgyRWwY … re=related

Enjoy.

English spoken with a French accent is considered sexy by some British women:-(

I like Scottish, Irish, New York (maybe New York Jewish) and what is wrong with Midwestern? Alabama (Patricia Arquette) in “True Romance” is a goddess (I can’t watch “Medium”).
The accent in the first half of this (the accent starts at 1:27) makes me cry
jp.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-yylPUt … re=related
apparently based upon Sissy Spaseck in “Badlands”.
jp.youtube.com/watch?v=sWLvrOq4z2c
I am going to have to watch Badlands.

What the hell’s a boobzout? :slight_smile:

What is up with people in Detroit? One joke I heard about Detroit is “We’re from Detroit, we don’t make jokes”.

Maybe Jamie can explain… :slight_smile:

I think that it is great the way Tony Scott uses the homeless of Detroit (this was during the nighties or at least at a time when the rise of the Toyota was putting people in Detroit out of business) to illustrate the feeling of those (like the Tarrantino nerd that wrote it) who are out in the cold, romance-wise. The eeboo (as baby calls police sirens) in the first few bars are haunting.

I have never been to Detroit. I am not an American. IANAA.

wa ta shi Tom des.

Do you have a midwestern accent and is it sexy? Perhaps you might post a link to your short film.

I just saw “Thin Red Line” which also uses images of searing violence and beauty with midwestern voice overs.

A lot of girls think English accents are sexy. Maybe you saw a movie with a cute guy who had an English accent.

Also, a girl looking gorgeous and voluptuous sounds sexy though with strong accent.

Yes. Think “Notting Hill”, and other Hugh Grant movies. Someone must be watching them.

The last reply was nine years ago but I have not moved on.

1 Like

British English is sexy . the language of course is not sexy but the person who use can be sexy.