How many English native speakers live in your town/area?

Hi, do you have any idea as to how many native English speakers live in your town or area? Obviously, if you are from a country where English is the primary language most people around you will be English native speakers. But then again, there might be neighborhoods, especially in the US, where most people are Chinese or Spanish native speakers.

As for me, I live in Leipzig and I guesstimate that the number of English native speakers is between 300 and 500. I also think that about 65% are from the US and another 25% are from the UK. Out of all those English native speakers about 70% probably work as English teachers, most of them as part time free lancers. The majority of them have a university degree and some of them have a TEFL certificate.

So what do you think is the “native English speaker situation” in your area?

Thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: The end of the pier[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hey,

Inclining to zero, unfortunately. :frowning:

65%+25%=90%

The reamaining 10% consist of roughly 9 Irish people, 6 Australians, 5 South Africans, 4 Canadians and 1 Kiwi.

Hi Dimitar,

What makes you think there are no English native speakers in your town? How many language schools are there in your city and who teaches there? Also, I’m sure there are quite a number of Americans in your town working for international companies and government agencies. You probably are simply not aware of them.

Let me know what you think.
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: At the marina[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Ralf,

It seems that these number are too low. I mean, at Leipzig university there must be at least 5 - 7 students/tutors from Ireland and Canada, don’t you think?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Fishing at the ocean shore[YSaerTTEW443543]

Wow!

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I must have misread your post. Of course there are native speakers in my town… I am kind of dizzy lately.

Yes, you’re right there. Studentwise, there are probably quite a few ex-pats around. But in terms of permanant residents I’d say that there are some 400 English speakers here in Leipzig. So we make up almost 1% of the population :slight_smile:

So would you agree that most of the Leipzig native speakers are American?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Machu Picchu, Peru[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hard to tell. Americans find it hard to get permanent jobs since they’re not part of the EU (obviously), but there seem to be more Yanks around than other ex-pats

I think most of the English native speakers living in Germany have no trouble finding jobs as English speakers, translators, photographers or artists no matter what country they’re from. On Wednesday I met Patrick, an American who worked for six years as a musician in Ireland before he moved to Germany. Do you happen to know him?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Farmland[YSaerTTEW443543]

Yes, I do. Patrick is a very nice guy from Detroit. He works as a musician and English teacher here in Leipzig. Legend has it that he didn’t have to pay for any drinks on his first night out in Dublin since a look at his passport made anyone stare at him in disbelief. His full name is as Irish as Butler’s chocolate, and he’d never been to Ireland before. Having spent 6 years in Ireland, you can still here a hint of a Clare accent when he talks to you.

In the Nashville are there is a decent percentage of Latinos, whose first language is Spanish.

There’s also a large Kurdish population here – largest of any city outside of Iraq, or so I’ve heard.

Hello every one.
My name is Ian and i live in County Carlow. Republic of Ireland. :slight_smile:
I am a very lucky man and have a beautiful German Girlfriend from Leipzig (Machern)
I visit her every month or 6 weeks and love the city.
My dream is to come to Leipzig and get some work in the new year.
I have 3 years working with Europe’s second largest Engineering company and was hoping that might help.
Would it be very hard for me to find some work, any work ? so i could stay in Leipzig ? :slight_smile:

Thanks and by the way, i am sober at the moment… yipeeeee :wink:

Ian :slight_smile:

If anyone has any advice on getting some work. please feel free to email me:
ian.spring@gmail.com

Thanks.
Ian :slight_smile: