How do you pronounce 'privacy'?

Hi, how do you prefer pronouncing the word ‘privacy’ - praɪvəsɪ or prɪvəsɪ?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Workers in the field[YSaerTTEW443543]

to decide what sound to give a vowel is often very difficult for esl’ers. i can offer 2 relatively easy de-coding methods:

1. ’ the one consonant, two consonant rule’ look at the word, if there is only one consonant following the vowel and the word is longer then 3 letters, or the syllable is not at the end of the word, the vowel is usually long (the sound is the same as the name of the vowel.)

2. divide the word into syllables. if a syllable that ends in a vowel (an open syllable), that vowel is usually long, if the syllable ends in a consonant (a closed syllable) tha vowel is usually short.

Hi Gypsy1900, as you know there are two accepted ways of pronouncing ‘privacy’. Which one do you prefer?

Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A girl on an elevator[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi

© ‘You say potatoe…’
ask.metafilter.com/mefi/18443

Hi Torsten

I only say the word privacy one way: the first syllable always sounds just like the word “pry”.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard it pronounced any other way from an American – unless somebody was attempting an imitation of a British accent. :smiley:

Amy