How do you drink your tea?

I think souad was just using the French spelling of mint. I’m doubtful the alcohol concept is likely to catch on in Algeria. :slight_smile:

I lived in Morocco for a while; their approach to tea is identical to the Algerian one. Tea=hospitality, and hospitality=Moroccan.

You take gunpowder tea (so called because it’s processed in small pellets, that do resemble gunpowder grains), brew it with a huge amount of mint (sometimes wormwood in the winter), and the maximum amount of sugar (sold in cones or blocks from which you whack off large chunks) you can possibly get to dissolve.

Then, you pour the tea into tiny shot-glass sized cups, from as high as you can, a minimum of at least 2 feet. The idea is to get a frothy foamy head (desired ascetically, and helps mix the flavors). You fill a few glasses, pour them all back into the teapot (idea here is to completely mix the flavors) and pour again, (if possible, from a greater height).

You repeat this process several times. The final result is a nice frothy foamy head on your small tea. Don’t be fooled by the diminutive size of the cup, for tea is a social activity, not to be rushed, and you will be expected to have at least 3 cups before you begin the process of protesting no more. Moroccan teapots are deceptively voluminous; while you’d swear that there could only be maybe a quart of tea in the pot, there’s some sort of spacial anomaly that allows the interior to hold gallons.

It’s very important that you convey the image that the reason you don’t want anymore is because due to the host’s generosity, you’re filled to bursting. Generally, after the 3rd or 4th glass (you’re well on your way to starting your 2nd hour of idle chit-chat by this point), you (under protest) accept one final glass, before it’s considered tactful to actually refuse the final cup.

Now, you, as a foreigner are going to be besieged by invitations to have tea. Especially when traveling in smaller villages in the countryside. Every house along your path is going to invite you in. It doesn’t matter if they watched you just accept tea from their next door neighbor, as soon as you come out, they’re going to try to get you to have “just a quick glass” at their house.

This leads to 2 problems. First, if you stop for tea at every house, you’re going to take several days to get across the village. Secondly, you’ve given prestige to the hosts whose invitations you accept, while possibly slighting those you don’t. It’s important that you distribute your acceptations to as many households as possible.

If you’re living in a village, this is particularly important that you don’t been seen as favoring any particular household. It became a social calender issue, keeping track of who’s house you should accept tea in on this day…

The problem is that tea can take so long, it’s now mealtime, so why not stay for supper, they insist. Then, to help digest the meal, there will of course be tea, while relaxing and digesting. If you need a nap, no problem, it’s normal to nod off after a meal, as long as you’re not the host.

Tea, in Morocco, as you can see, is really a vicious never ending cycle. It’s a lot of work,too. Once, I was given the honor of making the tea, and freakin’ hell, I’m here to tell you it’s an involved process. The sugar was the worst; being in a solid cone, you just had to whack chunks off with an iron bar, and compacted sugar don’t break easily…

The foamy tea reminds me off “teh tarik” (pulled tea) that we have back in Malaysia. They pull it more than 2 feet and the result is a milky and foamy tea. Malaysians love this tea. But if you are diabetic or watching your diet, you better not have it everyday.

By the way, your story is entertaining.

Ever heard of bubble tea? Sounds intriguing!

I think I’ve had that sort of drink, Ralf. It was very nice.

There’s a famous small shop selling drinks with tapiocas in Shinjuku.I don’t remember the name though, I think it’s famous, because I had to queue a long queue every time.

I love tapioca, very chewy.

Well, I reckon your tea parlours provide multifarious teas in abundance :lol:

Here in Germany, you can’t get too many fancy types of tea (but maybe I’m just not familiar with the in-places). A typical supermarket tea looks more or less like this.

Of all places, I had this bubble tea in southern Kansas to get an energy boost after having fallen asleep on Highway 54 :shock:

Well, bubble tea does sound like it can perk you up. And I hope you’d be more careful in the future. Don’t sleep and drive, Ralf. :shock:

And WOW, there are so many teas to try!

You’re right there. But you’ve probably never experienced the solitude of Hooker (a town), Shamrock (2 houses), Kismet (3 houses) and Plains (4 houses, a church and a drive-in). My mate took pictures of the road signs while I was driving, but all I can remember is waking up to his scream as I was driving straight into a ditch (and nearly into train tracks!) as the road took a sudden right turn. After what seemed like a million miles of straight road, that was. 8)

Safe life - drink bubble tea :slight_smile:

LMAO, oh my god…you drove right by me. :shock: I live in Liberal. But it’s still like 200 miles from that road swerve by Kismet to Wichita, a long way while sleepy. :lol:

*Had to be by Kismet, because that’s the only right hand swerve on 54 in the area. There’s a couple of left hand swerve where 54 and 160 split, surprised that didn’t get you. But then, it’s on the outskirts of Meade, so you’d probably woken up again by then you’d just passed through Meade… :lol:

Hi skrej,

It’s a mad world, isn’t it?! Your house could be in my holiday pictures, I might have asked your neighbour for directions or almost killed your cat when swerving to the left, who knows! I’m afraid I can’t remember Liberal, though. But you have a point, I must have left the road in a left hand swerve since you’re driving on the right side of the road, right? Mixed up memories…

All I can remember is that it was very hot (no air-conditioning in car) in July and that the roads were rather dusty. And I remember driving through Pratt, which also evoked a few flat jokes (Pratt=prat). “Man, this Pratt’s a bit wooden-headed!” - “Dunno, looks a bit more goosy, as they say.” - “Can’t see a single animal, that’s just foolish!” - “No, it’s Pratt!” etc

Any good tea joints in Liberal - just in case I’ll end up in an old Chevy Corsica on the 54 again :lol:

You’re one lucky son of a gun. :shock: (Your friend, poor guy, I hope he still let you drive :slight_smile: )

I think tea first, then the milk…I like Green tea in China.Everyone to taste this tea because it is very charm full & testy…Thanks

Hi SieWhange,

Many thanks for joining our forum. I hope you don’t get testy when you drink green Chinese Tea :-)?
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Which hand do you write with?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi,

Should we explain the difference between ‘testy’ and ‘tasty’?

Alan

Hi Sie Whange,

The word ‘testy’ means quite the opposite of calm - pettish or peevish. And I’d like to think that green tea is very tasty and makes you feel relaxed!

Hi Ralf,
Thank you for the answer.
Thanks to Skrej who clarified the ambiguity about the word " menth". I have some of the french language interference on my tongue.
Yes, Ralf, it has nothing to do with alcohol since our tradition is somehow married with religion. It is just mint tea!
I would like to add that Moroco is in the west of Algeria . tea is less used in the north centre of Algeria than in Moroco or the Algerian desert (south of Algeria) . In the north here , we generally welcome our guests with coffee not with tea , we don’t drink it every day and we rarely have it after meals.
Tea in the north here , is a drink of occasions and precious moments . At the contrary, it is the daily drink in the south and the west of Algeria ( borders with Moroco).
The way tea is prepared here is the same as mentioned by Skrej . It is good for diet.
Yours,
Souad.