How do you drink your tea?

Today it happened again; someone saw me pouring milk into my (black) tea and said “You English are strange!”. The cheeky git. I let the culturally ignorant comment pass and simply pointed to a difference in taste.

What tea do you prefer? And how do you drink your tea?

Hi Ralf,

Tea first. Then the milk, only a little. Can’t stand weak tea. And that reminds me. When I first visited Germany 50 years ago, I met a charming family who invited me to stay with them a couple of days. At a certain point (around tea time I suppose) they ceremoniously offered me a hot drink. As I sipped it before an expectant audience, I remarked: I’ve always wanted to have a cup of real German coffee. There was a silence. The father of the family with an anguished look on his face said: But that’s tea, Alan.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I knew you were a man of sublime taste :!:

Your comment reminded me of a guy I heard on the bbc breakfast show the other day, and here’s what I found on youtube. Make sure you don’t miss the end of the clip!

Not bad, the young fella :slight_smile:

I like tea tepid and not too strong (even weak).
But most of the time I drink coffee.

Hi Alex,

Some Brits call their tea ‘char’ and someone once told me that this colloquial expression is derived from the Russian word for tea. Is that true?

Hi, Ralf

I’m not sure, but the word chair very closely resembles the Russian word for tea (which is Чай [chai]) :slight_smile:

All right, that sounds more like chai then. Maybe you should try this variety since it’s supposedly just as strong as coffee. But ever so much healthier :o

I swear by this beverage. There is no single day that I go without it.

My favourites in any order are:

1)Milk tea-with ginger, cinnamon,cloves,star anis-chai like
2)Karada meguricha-it’s a brand actually and it contains eight Eastern ingredients including Korean ginseng, and four types of tea including pu-erh tea and oolong tea
3)Houji-cha
4)Oolong
5)Green tea-known here as Ocha
6)Matcha-thick green tea

Any tea, really. If people make tea out of green grass, I think I’ll drink it too.

My dad used to drink his tea with milk, and I used to tease him regularly about the extreme weirdness of this habit. :lol:

Seriously, though, I don’t drink tea very often, but when I do, it is generally one of these:

• hot black tea (preferably fairly weak)
  • iced tea with lemon and a little bit of sugar

Hi Ralf

Any habits of one culture seem strange to another, innit. :twisted:

Just point out the habit of pouring (ruining) condensed milk into good coffee (typically German, and regional to Saxony).

cheers stew.t.

Saxony’s not alone! That’s a typical way to destroy a perfectly good cup of coffee in Swabia, too. :lol:

Hi Ralf,

I agree – the guy is quite funny. Did you notice that he says “least but not last”? Did you do that intentionally or was it just a slip of the tongue?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Working in the garden[YSaerTTEW443543]

Yeah, that’s just a little pun.

Nina, your country’s far to civilised for mortal European standards. Although I’ve once spat out green tea, I’m only familiar with Barry’s and Lyon’s black tea. They both come in bags, but there’s a pretty safe way to distinguish them. One’s square, you see, whereas the other is round :smiley:

Yes, green tea can be intimidating for some. In Malaysia, they add sugar to it. :shock:

It was around two years ago when green tea started gaining its popularity in Malaysia. I tried it, assuming it was the usual green tea, like the one I am used to in Japan. I nearly spat it out. Who on earth would add sugar to green tea? Preposterous. Simply outrageous. Down right blasphemous.

Although my sisters enjoy it, me, never again.

Whenever they refer to it as green tea, I always reply “Oh, the one you think is green tea?”

By the way, black tea is already good enough for health.

I am not an ardent tea lover, but if I drink tea, it is black or green without sugar :wink:

I drink my tea with ice. :smiley:

But then, I’m American. However, since I’m not Southern, hold the lemon, hold the sugar. Heavy on the mint, though, is good.

I will drink hot tea, always herbal, usually in the winter. Then of course, it simply must have honey (but never sugar).

Since it’s summer now, I’m back to making sun tea, for which I use green tea bags (or better yet white tea), and I always mash a bunch of fresh mint (spearmint or peppermint) which I toss in the gallon jar.

Best cold tea, though, bar none, is sassafras tea.

Hi ,every body,
Here ,in Algeria, we prepare tea with menth and we drink it in the evening… It is a tradition . And when it is a special occasion like the weddings we serve it with special cakes made of honny.
It gives you the feeling of the east … of Bagdad and the one thowsand nights…I like this feeling … It is so romantic.

The only tea that I cannot drink in Japan is the sakura tea, it’s salty. I know they add salt to it, but I don’t know why. I think it’s to preserve the colour of the sakura petals, but can’t sugar do the same? Too sticky?

Hi souad,

Do you have your tea with crème de menthe? That sounds like a good idea, actually :wink:

Does anyone ever put alcohol in their tea? I think some cultures refine it with rum; not too sure, though.