How can I improve my speaking skills?

Hello everyone…Perhaps you know I am not a native English speaker, that’s why I wanna improve my speaking part. Even though, I always do my best when speaking to someone, I am not self confident regarding spoken language. So what I need is try to speak all the time in English, 'cause also I am in a Spanish environment and get some English sources aren’t an easy task (Basically, I want to interact to someone who is living in an English environment). For instance, I wanted to talk to someone who might be able to stay in touch with me through a room chat or something similar (Like talking through the Skype program, do you know it?) Besides that, maybe someone has some tips to improve or get a second language(In my concern the speaking part)in such a way I can talk all the time(Or at least I wanna get more involved with the language) ;I would like to know them. Last, If anyone can help me with it I’d really appreciate it and maybe we can share interesting topics (For example, Cultures)… thanks in advance… and See ya! :roll:

1 Like

Hi Serzige,
I don’t think I could help you 'cause I’m not a native , but let me tell you I love your idea!
Actually I’d do the same if I could.
If anyone wants to talk on skype I’m ready.
Spencer

I don’t have the program yet, but I could get it in no time.
By the way, would that be good if we talk each other like that?
I mean it’s thoroghly different than writing, you know.
Kinda scary, isn’t it?

Thanks for your answer Spencer. But I don get it…do you have skype? And what do you mean “Kinda scary, isn’t it?”…Obviusly, I would like to talk to you by Skype, it would be really fun!..so you can search my name and sent me a message. Anyway, let me know when we can talk…!

See ya…soon!

Hi Serzige,
I don’t have it yet, put I’ll have it soon.
It’s a bit scary, 'cause I’m in contact with you guys for a while already, and when you write a post, you have a lot more time to decide what to answer. On the other side you have to be more careful too, because your thoughts are written down, so anyone can see them.
If you talk to someone on phone, you might seem to be a different person than you appered to be by reading your messages, and it’s still not a personal meeting, if you know what I mean.
It’s like we could be a pair of good post-pals, but if you hear my voice and I remind you of someone you didn’t like in the past, you wouldn’t like me that much any more.
It’s a bit too radical example, but still, I have some good friends here, that’s why I think it’s a little scary.
It doesn’t mean I wouldn’t do, if someone asks me to.
As soon as I have the skype, I’ll let you know, and let’s start the talking!

Spencer

By the way, where are you writing from?

Well, that’s a good question to start talking. I am from south America, exactly I live in Bogot?–Colombia. I just wanna know when you can get skype, it’s so easy to get it because it is for free. Anyway let me know it…

See ya!

hi i am logesh
i am interested to develop my speaking skills.
please watch this video

Yes open your mouth widely and don’t be afraid of anything. this way shall shorten the time to speak english. we need to be more bold not for doing something correctly , but for not to be worried so much about our faults. your life is a big box , and you have to fill it with your experiences.

Thanks

hi jamilion, i am logesh thanks for your answer. how to get develop knowledge in synonyms and antonyms… please help me to develop my english.
please mention what are all do for to develop english. mention some useful books for me.
thanks u very much

Dear Sergio and Spencer,

What are your native languages? You might be able to find peope willing speak with you consistently via skype if they can also work on a language they are learning. I’ve heard this language exchange site is good.

In the meantime, check out my free online pronunciation guide! :slight_smile:
Rachel

Rachel, as a native English speaker I fully accept and understand all that you are demonstrating in the videos on pronunciation, but I feel that they are unduly repetitive,
and difficult for a non-native to copy.

My opinion is that the Voice Recording facility that we have at ESL, is a far superior way to learn pronunciation. Full conversations ,with perhaps regional dialects, which our " trainees " are never going to hear in America.

Voice recording to follow.

Rachel, as a native English speaker I fully accept and understand all that you are demonstrating in the videos on pronunciation, but I feel that they are unduly repetitive,
and difficult for a non-native to copy.

My opinion is that the Voice Recording facility that we have at ESL, is a far superior way to learn pronunciation.

Full conversations , with perhaps regional dialects, which our " trainees " are never going to hear in America.

How can I improve my English speaking skills.? Obvious answer is to learn on an English site.

Unless you have the ability to feign an accent, like Hugh Grant in Dr. House, any American will never sound anything other than what they are, Americans.

They could speak perfect English, but not one person of any age in Britain, would think that they are British.

If you feel the need to speak American, then I would suggest you join an American site. If you want to learn English, as it is spoken in England, ESL is the only place to be.

Kitosdad.

Hugh Laurie - not Grant.

Thanks for your comments.
Rachel

watch tv but don,t translation in any languages
speaking with foreigners people

You can also listen to the radio that uses English language. This is a big help :slight_smile:

How can I improve my speaking?

What is wrong with it.? Make a voice recording and let’s hear you.

Dear Friends , my name is andy and i want help for the speaking section of toefl ibt…if anyone wants to talk with me in english then please let me know , so that we can practice talking english…

Hi!
Everybody I am Heinkham .I am so grateful receiving your English course.I just learn English for about a few month.My English is so poor and my pronunciation is so poor too.I don’t know how I can improve my English.If you can help me ,please.I really need your flavours.I wanna speak English very well.
thank you again!!!
Help me.