How can I count how many English words I Know?

Hi
I would like to account my average vocabulary,is it possible?Is there a virtual method to count words?Please respond.Thanks in advance!

Regards

go through a dictionary, placing a checkmark next to each word you know/recognize.

then simpy count the checkmarks

That’s an interesting question !
First off, you need to define what kind of vocablurary you want to assess - passive (the words that ring a bell, but never spring to mind when you’re speaking) and active (the words that you actually use in your speech).
In fact, the average native speaker of English makes do with upwards of 2000 words (or less) (i.e. the active vocabulary of the average native speaker is 2000 words or so).
As for methods, I’m not yet familiar with any of them, except for an old reliable counting :).

But you may know tons of words and at the same time can’t “tie them together”, use them in different contexts, mix them with each other, forming idioms, set expressions, etc. So, in my opinion a person should not be bent on aquiring a big big vocabulary, but instead learn set expressions that are composed of that number of words he knows. Well, my last remark was a bit beside the point :slight_smile:

:lol: :wink:
(You think someone would have enough patience to go through a dictionary with thousands upon thouzands of words, looking at each and every one of them) :smiley:

Hello,

wordsandtools.com/vocdemo/gzram3.html

Set it to ‘Advanced’.

Regards

Well,maybe it will show the most accurate result,but I agree,hardly anyone will have so much patience to do it(sure,you haven’t tried that mothod,have you?) :lol:

Anyway,thanks for replying.Lost_soul,regards for giving a direction,I want to assess my average active vocabulary because,as you said sometimes we know words but don’t know how to “tie them together”.The average native speaker of English makes do with upwards of 2000 words?That’s an encouraging number!

Though it is set to “advanced”
My resutls:
Score: 55 of 120
Estimated vocabulary size: 3510
How is this?(it wasn’t easy for me,I certainly need much practice,besides it isn’t the active V I suppose)

Thank you very much SkiIucK

Now that you have started asking about your power to use words it is right you hear about some of these.

They will certainly give you the answers you need and if need to improve your vocabulary for real

Word Power Made Easy
by Norman Lewis

Dynamic Vocabulary
by Peter Funk
Audio CD
Reader’s Digest columnist Peter Funk and partner Mary Funk can enrich anyone’s vocabulary. Hundreds of words are featured in context, and defined.

Word Power by Peter Funk
Audio CD Audio Cassette
Word Power is an easy-to-follow series of vocabulary lessons from master linguist Peter Funk. His proven techniques will dramatically help you to improve your vocabulary and express yourself more clearly and forcefully.
nanu.nana

nanucbe Thank you very much for useful information

41 of 120 it’s not good for me/…=(

Hi,Tilt
Can I ask you a question?How long have you been learning E.
Thanks in advance.

Why are you asking me a question like that?=))))) I’ve learned English since last year !

It just interested me,nothing more.Thanks for your reply.

hehe

Patience is a virtue!

Oh,yes,but I’ll put it to better use! :lol:

Sure

Hi Lost Soul,
I am also making research about how many english words should a person know in order for him understand the language. Can you give me reference (e-books name or website ) that could help me? It seems that you’re knowledgeable about the topic based on your answer. Thanks in advance.

As for methods, I’m not yet familiar with any of them, except for an old reliable counting :).

But you may know tons of words and at the same time can’t “tie them together”, use them in different contexts, mix them with each other, forming idioms, set expressions, etc. So, in my opinion a person should not be bent on aquiring a big big vocabulary, but instead learn set expressions that are composed of that number of words he knows. Well, my last remark was a bit beside the point :slight_smile:

Hi Lost Soul,
I am also making research about how many english words should a person know in order for him understand the language. Can you give me reference (e-books name or website ) that could help me? It seems that you’re knowledgeable about the topic based on your answer. Thanks in advance.

How many English words should a native speaker know by the age of 16, 20, 25 and 30 years?
How many English words should a learner of the English language know by the age of 16, 20, 25 and 30 years?