Hope + correct tense (In the future, he hopes that young professionals who...)

Hi,

I’m wondering if there are any rules for the use of the present tense and will-future in combination with the verb “hope”.

Can you always use both structures - will-future or the present tense with a future meaning - or are there any cases where one of these forms would be preferred?

At school I learnt that you should use will-future to express a hope but in business letters I often come across hope + the present tense, such as in
We hope you enjoy your holiday.

Could I also use the present tense in the example sentence below?
In the future, he hopes that young professionals who often move from city to city will buy them.

Thank you for your help! :slight_smile:

Hi Gromit,

What follows after ‘hope’ depends very much on the sense behind the hoping. When you say: I hope you enjoy your holiday, you are really indicating that it is your wishful hope that you may enjoy your holiday. And in that sense there is a suggestion of the subjunctive because it is more of a wish than a hope. When you say: I hope that the young professionals will buy them, this is more a hope about the future result.

I can say: I hope that you succeed with the idea that my wish is for your success. I can also say: I hope you will succeed, with the idea that my hope is for something happening in the future.

Alan

Thanks a lot! That’s very helpful.

Gromit