Hello

Could you please tell me the difference between:

Honorable guests and Honored guests
Respected guests and Respectable guests

Thanks in advance

Tom

Hi Tom (,) :wink:

My personal opinion:

I’d stick with honored and respected. But honorable is also used. I don’t really see much difference.

But, saying “Respectable guests” is not normal and sounds very weird to me (as though there might be some doubt about their respectability).

Amy

Hi Tom,

Respect +ed or honor + ed : For me, the matter is at “ed” (often expresses the passice meaning).

I think the matter the most important here is “respectable” and “respectful”.

Respectable: considered by society to be good, correct,…

Ex: He came from a respectable middle-class family.

Respectful: Showing respect or something evoking respec.

Ex: Tom was standing at a respectful distance holding a cup of tea.

I am always respectful of your calm attitude.

bye
Khanh

Hi Tom,

Honorable = deserve to have respect + admiration

Ex: Conclude an honorable peace.
Do the honorable thing by resigning.

Bye
Khanh

Hi Tom

I understood your question to be a question about how you could address or refer to the guests at (for example) a formal event.
Did I understand you correctly?

Amy

Yes, Amy

You did understand me correctly!

Tom

Hi Khanh

Yes, this indicates a passive form grammatically speaking, but I don’t see that as a problem at all. In this case, quite the opposite. When you use the “ed” form in this case, that means that the guests are respected / honored by the speaker. For me, that is a step further than simply being worthy of honor or respect.

In other words, the guests are not only worthy of honor and respect, they have also received honor and respect from me.

(What I mentioned in my first post was specifically in reference to ways to address guests at a formal affair/event.)

Amy

Hi Amy,

Ok. Thanks.

Khanh