"His stellar reputation and his connection to the police department threw me off ..... for a while but he is our killer. He had a good motive; his wife was threatening to divorce him for some impropriety he committed with his secretary and she was in possession of a two million dollar inheritance that he would inherit if she passed away.

"His stellar reputation and his connection to the police department threw me off ..... for a while but he is our killer. He had a good motive; his wife was threatening to divorce him for some impropriety he committed with his secretary and she was in possession of a two million dollar inheritance that he would inherit if she passed away. (*) scent (*) focus (*) examination (*) track

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://english.best/questions/12889,his-stellar-reputation-and-his-connection-to-the-police-department-threw-me-off-___-for-a-while-but-he-is-our-killer-he-had-a-good-motive-his-wife-was-threatening-to-divorce-him-for-some-impropriety-he-committed-with-his-secretary-and-she-was-in-possession-of-a-two-million-dollar-inheritance-that-he-would-inherit-if-she-passed-away/