Hi Luschen, please check and grade my SAT essay. Thank you.

Hi, Mr. Luschen. Here is my essay. Please correct it for me. Thank you so much !

Topic:Is the way something seems to be not always the same as it actually is?

Fair is foul, foul is fair. People are always judged by their appearances. Yet appearances can be really misleading. What “seems” is not always what really is.

Lady Macbeth gives Macbeth an evil advice which crowns him the king. That is to make your face as beautiful as a flower but hide a snake underneath it. This philosophy cannot be denied in today’s world which is full of competition.

When I was in grade 10, I had an opportunity to participate a public speaking contest in our school. Luckily, I found out that one of the contestants was in my math class and we soon became friends. Gradually we started to practice giving speeches together and gave each other comments. On the contest day, he went before me but I was shocked when I heard him using one of my strongest examples and it was absolutely not our plan. I tasted the sense of betrayal and it was like the end of the world because examples are not allowed to be reused in speech contest. Therefore, I did not make it to semi-final and I lost a good friend. However, I was not that sad or disappointed as how I expected. Although he turned his back on me, I did not want to blame him but to thank him because he had taught me this important life lesson which was never taught in school. In today’s world, no one can be fully trusted and one always has to have a back-up plan in case of the worst situation, which is, to protect oneself.

The best irony in Shakespeare’s works is considered to be in the Othello. Iago expresses his loyalty to Othello just a few minutes after he describes Othello as a black monkey and report Othello’s affair to Destimona’s father. Othello’s trust towards Iago makes him one of the most sympathetic characters of all time in literature.

In summary, the first appearances are not the most important part to estimate a person. We should know who the person really is before we trust him. Also, do not forget to have a second plan all the time.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture by a Drama professor