Here's a riddle. Can you solve it?

I speak without a mouth and hear without ears. I have no body, but I come alive with wind. What am I?

2 Likes

Hi Ryan, welcome back to the forum. It’s great to see you again albeit online only :wink: I hope you are planning to return to Leipzig soon so we can attend another festival together?

As for your riddle I must admit I spent quite some time cracking it until I finally threw in the towel and looked it up :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome back! I do plan on going back to Leipzig! It may not be until next year however. I’m joining the U.S. Army!

2 Likes

Wow! That’s very interesting! What exactly will you be doing in the army?

2 Likes

Well, I’ll be taking a language test to see if I have the capability the army is looking for to learn a new language. Then, if I do I’ll become Human Intelligence Collector

2 Likes

The test is Monday by the way. With a completely made up language. As time goes on if I get the job, I can become a sort military investigator or an interrogator. While still maintaining the language they want me to learn.

2 Likes

Very interesting. Please tell me what a Human Intelligence Collector does. It sounds a bit like working for an intelligence service such as the CIA.

1 Like

It could lead to that. First I’d learn a new language and then I’d learn to interrogate and find information out. Essentially I’m a linguist/translator while also being an interrogator

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s available in Germany, but if it is. Go to goarmy.com and type in 35w in the search bar. It has the full job description.

2 Likes

Perhaps I should finally answer the riddle. I am an ‘echo’.

2 Likes

Hi Ryan, how are you? When are you starting your career at the U.S. Army?

1 Like

Hello Natalia. I’m great. And you? I start my army career in just a few weeks. And early next year I’ll begin learning Russian!

1 Like

Hi Ryan, that’s great news, congrats on your new career. As for learning Russian you might want to watch this short video. Even if you might not understand a single word it helps get familiar with the sounds of the Russian language and get used to its distinctive intonation patterns. That’s very important and will help you later once you start your language course:

1 Like

Thanks Torsten! I’m sure this will help me out exponentially!

1 Like