Help me with my writing task 1 please

The pie graphs below show the result of a survey of children’s activities. The first graph shows the cultural and leisure activities that boys participate in, whereas the second graph shows the activities in which the girls participate.

Write a report for a university lecturer and report the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.

You should write at least 150 words.

The given pie charts illustrate what types of pastime girls and boys take part in cultural and free-time activities. As can be seen from two pie charts, it is clearly evident that while boys spend most of the time for basketball and computer games, girls tend to like dancing and reading.

As is presented in diagrams, the percentage of computer games which boys join cultural and leisure activities is the highest, at 26%. Besides, the percentage of basketball, soccer, and skateboarding played by boys accounts for 26%,17%, and 11% respectively, it is a quite high proportion.

While computer games account for the highest figure among boy’s activities, dancing is the most popular activity with girls, standing at 27%. In addition, girls also like joining gymnastics, computer games, and netball, at around 11%,18% and 15% in that order. Interestingly, the proportion of listening to music in activities of both boys and girls is the same, standing 10%. Regarding reading activity, girls tend to like reading more than boys, because the figure of girl’s reading activity is 21%, whereas reading activity only accounts for 2% of the total boy’s cultural and leisure activities.

3 Likes

Hi Nguyên Nguyễn, welcome to the forum! I think you have done a pretty good job with this report. Your format makes sense to me, with a good summary and overview to begin, followed by one paragraph for each chart. To me, the charts given in the question could be a little more clear. Going off what you said in your introduction, I assumed the charts gave the percentage of time spent doing the activities. But now that I reread the question, the charts may give the percentage of boys and girls who picked that activity as their favorite. I think if you make it clear how you view the charts and stay consistent in your report it would be fine. But when you say "girls like gymnastics at 11% ", that is not very clear to me - say either “girls spend 11% of their time doing gymnastics” or “11% of girls chose gymnastics as their favorite activity”. Here are some other suggestions:

2 Likes