Hello Torsten

Hi Torsten,

In the following sentence why we cannot replace Room with Seat:
I’m sure we have enough room in the car!!
Is it wrong to say: singular nouns can follow the word enough?

With best regards,
philip

enough room = enough space
‘seat’ does not mean the same thing, and for that sentence to make sense you would have to use the plural ‘seats’.
Singular nouns can only follow ‘enough’ if they are uncountable.
Do you have enough sugar?

Is this true to say:
we use ‘Seat’ only for huge vehicles like plane and bus and ‘space’ for smaller ones like car?

many thanks for your great help.
philip

No.
There are seats in a car. However, ‘room’ does not mean the same thing as ‘seat’.
room = space that can be occupied or where something can be done, esp. viewed in terms of whether there is enough:
there’s only room for a single bed in there
she was trapped without room to move
there was not enough leg-room in the back of the car
there was only room for two passengers
seat = a sitting place for a passenger in a vehicle
Their car had two seats
There were three seats in the back of the car but there was not enough room for three people to sit comfortably in them as the space was cramped.
The bus had twenty-eight seats but there was also enough room for ten standing passengers, so it could carry thirty-eight passengers.

Hi Torsten,

thank you so much for your great explanation.
could you please check this question: TOEIC listening part II, set 14, exercise 8

2). You really shouldn’t have!
a) It’s my pleasure. – CORRECT
b) You don’t deserve it.
c) I wouldn’t do it.

I’m really confused. I don’t know the meaning of this question and how to find out the correct answer. Part A is correct!!

thanks again.
Philip

Hi Torsten,

I’m taken some time today, in order to now more about ESL Forums etc. I sow my progress report, and my number is 688. I look at all the students with photos, and I got to 688, and there was some one else. May I ask when will my photo will be next to the others?

Thank you,

Rosario

‘It’s my pleasure!’ is one of the standard responses that can be made when someone thanks you for something.

It’s a type of shortened way of saying:
It was a pleasure for me to have been able to help you.

Hello Rosario,

The numbering for the progress report is different to the numbering of the forum users, but in any case, you don’t appear to have posted a photo in your profile yet, which is why you don’t appear in that list at all.
There are two ways to add a photo, depending on whether you wish to add it to your profile so that it appears under your username on the right of every message you post (this is what you need for your photo to appear in the member list), or whether you want it to appear in one specific post.
You will find instructions here:
Forum Images

Hi Torsten,

could you please paraphrase the following sentence?
''Now we have extra time to hone our sales pitch’’
many thanks,
Philip

Now we have more time to improve our sales technique so that it is perfect.

Hi dear Torsten,

Could you please tell me the difference between ‘‘since’’ and ‘‘ever since’’?
It came in :TOEIC listening part II, set 18, exercise 10

With best regards,
Philip

Hi,

When you use ‘since’ in time expressions, it means ‘from that time’ as in: Since 2004 many books have been written on that subject. If you want to suggest that the action of the verb is not only from that time but also that it has been from a particularly long time, you add ‘ever’ as in: Ever since 1894 many people have tried to find a solution to this problem.

Alan

Hi Dear Alan,

Thank you for your perfect explanation. could you please do me another favor?
Actually, I need to know more about ‘‘Yet’’ and ‘‘already’’ and their applications in a sentence.

with best regards,
Philip

Hi,

In a very general sense you could say that ‘yet’ has the sense of ‘up till now’ and ‘already’ indicates an action is indeed completed. Look at these examples:

A Have you cut the grass yet?

B No, I haven’t done it yet.

A Have you cut the grass yet?

B Yes, I have already cut it.

Alan

Hello Torsten. Hello everyone. How do you do?

Hi Mr. Alan,

Many thanks for the definition, but I want to know weather there is a specific place in a sentence to bring ‘‘Yet’’ or not. I mean at the begining, at the end or between other components of a sentence.

Examples:
Ques:Have you taken your food?
Ans : No, I haven’t taken yet.

Que: Has your friend come to the party?
Ans: No, not yet come.

With Best Regards,
philip

Hi Dear Torsten,

could you please tell me the reason of using ‘‘then’’ at the end of some sentences like the following one?
Let’s recommend Stuller to the board of directors tomorrow, then.

Goodluck,
Philip

It is used to finish off the conversation - an indiocation that a final decision has been reached and agreed.

Hi Dear Torsten,

Could you please help me to fill up this application form?

I’m a little bit confused about ‘‘Result/Classification’’. what does it mean? and what I should write inside the box?

many thanks,
philip

Hi Philip,

Where did you find this form? I think by classification they mean the category the theme of your dissertation will fall into.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and a university advisor[YSaerTTEW443543]