heard vs hearing

Thanks for viewing this post.

Here is my question: it’s correct to say “I was doing my homework when I heard my father’s voice downstairs”…but is it also correct to say that “I was doing my homework when hearing my father’s voice downstairs”?

What brought up this question is that I heard someone saying “she was upset when told she was not allowed to go to the party” the other day.

So, opinions?

I was doing my homework when I heard my father’s voice downstairs.
and
I was doing my homework while hearing my father’s voice downstairs. (note the slight change)
have different meanings:

In the first, the sequence is that you were doing your homework and then while you were in the middle of that task, you heard your father’s voice
In the second, you heard your father’s voice at the same time as you were doing your homework. There is no indication of when you started hearing his voice.

One added note: we usually ‘hear’ in simple or perfect, since it is an involuntary response. ‘Listening’ we often do in progressive aspect because it is an ongoing voluntary activity. That’s why the second one sounds a little odd…to me at least.

Yes, I see now. Thank you two very much. So I’ll just stick to “I was doing my homework when I heard my father’s voice downstairs”.

Oh well…Mr. Micawber, I have to admit you have confused me a bit…are you saying that I should substitute “listening” for “hearing” whenever “hear” is used in progressive form? I thought the two words have completely different meaning. The word “listen” often indicates making conscious effort as to understand something, e.g. “She listened to their converstaion”, whereas the word “hear” often means to pick up sounds rather than making out the meaning…no?

Also, is the above-mentioned sentence “…when told…” correct?

Are you saying that I should substitute “listening” for “hearing” whenever “hear” is used in progressive form? – No, I am saying that you should consider carefully before using ‘hear’ in progressive aspect. It is possible but unusual, and is often wrong when used that way by learners.

Yes, told is fine.

Yes, I’ll be careful with the two words when writing

btw, is the above sentence correct?

yes.