He was the first man discovering penicillin, coal is a much dirtier energy source

Are there sentences correct? He was the first man discovering penicillin, coal is a much dirtier energy source than petroleum. Thank you.

He was reputed to be the first man to discover penicillin.

Does anybody know who was reputed to be the first person to discover penicillin ?

sunho

Thank you but I just wonder whether the two sentences are grammatically right or not. As they’re one of 4 answer in an MCQ which I must take out the wrong one. I think the first sentence is wrong as the right one is He was the first man to discover penicillin. About the second sentence, my teacher said that it’s grammatically wrong and to make it right we must use LOT instead of MUCH. But I have the different idea. I think the article A is for the phrase ENERGY SOURCE not for the word LOT/MUCH.

I wonder whether you were asking us the question or if you were consulting me. If you were asking a question, my answer is Mr. Flemming.

To Winter

I asked a question for answer. Thank you for your answer now I know who was the fist man to discover penicillin.

Regards

Hi VW,
Is it right to use ‘first man to discover something’ as discoveries are meant to happen only once?

So it’s incorrect to say He’s the first man discovering penicillin? So in that MCQ there are two wrong sentence.

But what about the other sentence? Should we use more or lot after the article a?

I think coal is a much dirtier energy source than petroleum is a correct sentence.
You can use lot or much interchangeably.