Have you ever learned 'martial arts'?

Hi

Recently, I’m interested in learning a martial art, but I’m not sure which one I should really learn.I have learned that there are Aikido, Jujutsu, Kung Fu, Muay Thai, Tai Chi, Judo, Karate-do, Tae Kwon Do… But I’d like to know from you. What martial arts interest you? Have you learned any yet? What’s your idea about it? :smiley:

Thank you.

Hi,
I studied Aikido for 3 months, then I gave up since my home was too far from cetral of material art. I think Aikido is very suitable for women. It does not require the strength. It also helps you to increase your health, improve other skills!
I think others are also interesting to study.

Regards.

Thank you, Woodbk13, for your suggestion. Aikido is interesting too. Now I’m interested to know whether all these martial arts are taught in your country. In my country, some of these have never been heard :). I mean, we preserve our traditional boxing and Lbok Kator, :smiley: and I don’t know where exactly in Cambodia Aikodo and Jujutsu are taught. :lol:

Thanks.

Rosalisa

The grandson of my uncle, Rashad Ahmadov, goes for Tae Kwon Do and took part at the Olimpic Games in Greece successfully. One can find him in the net if interested. I am his fan when he participates in international tournaments, but I do not like his sport at all. I think I like Kung Fu more, because it is linked with spiritual richness more than other sports.

Hi Rosa,

My parents sent me to Karate class when I was very small (which I did not complete), then when I started primary school I enrolled in Wushu while my sister took up the Tae Kwon Do. I didn’t finish it either, I stopped at blue belt, again because I moved up to secondary school and they didn’t have the Wushu club at the new school.

If you’re thinking to take up one, it’s a good thing. It will improve your health a lot. I was asmathic, a mild one but it was gone after taking up the Wushu for some time. It makes you very strong too. One of the test I had to do was break three pieces of 2.5 cms (if I were not mistaken) blocks of wood. I don’t think I can do it now though. It’s not just strength, but you need to do it with the right technique or else you’ll break your hand instead of the blocks.

I say go for it, girl! Haiyaark!

Nina

I have a black belt in aikido, and I used to teach it. When I was small I was in judo. One of the reasons I love aikido is that it’s very demanding physical exercise, but is also demanding and rewarding mentally. In most forms of aikido there are no tournaments or competitions. (Tournaments were one of the things I hated in judo.) You are just tested against a fixed standard. Aikido uses not only the attacker’s momentum, but also uses the attacker’s joints and nerves against him, which to me was always fascinating, from a mechanical and anatomical point of view.

One of the things I learned from aikido was not to waste time worrying too much about mistakes that I have already made, and just to move on and improve. (This somehow made me a better public speaker.) Also, some of the techniques in aikido are quite painful, and this improved my endurance in many aspects of my life. What I learned from this came in very handy when I had to take care of my parents in their old age.

I studied Jujitsu for a couple years while in college.

It was fun.

In Jujitsu I learned locks, chokes, holds/bars, throws, and basic kicks (side kick, front kick, back/reverse thrust kick, etc.) and punches. I also learned how to fall.

I’ll never forget one sparring session with my sensei:

I threw him (hip throw) – in retrospect, I’m fairly certain that he let me throw him. At any rate, while he was on his way down I kept his right wrist in my left hand.

When he hit the ground, all i had to do was step over his right arm and fall backward, and I would have had him in an arm bar, with his right elbow under potentially serious strain if I made it so by lifting up a leg. I would also have been able to break his wrist, since with it under control I could use both of my hands, if necessary, to put his right hand/wrist in a vicious wrist lock.

(I was on my back – visually, it looked like we were lying sort of side-by-side with me “above” him by maybe a foot, with his right arm stuck more or less in my groin… his shoulder was roughly in the area of my mid-thigh and I had his wrist at or near my diaphragm. I had hold of his right wrist. I would have had control of his arm and unless he had something up his sleeve, he would have had to tap out.)

But no.

After the throw (after he landed on his back, that is), I let go of his right wrist and jumped on him.

I started punching him (fairly softly – he was my teacher and we were friends) in the upper torso area and lightly in the head area.

All of a sudden I started to zone out. My head started to feel like it was floating. I looked down and saw that he’d put me in a cross-handed choke hold, and I had no chance to escape without jeopardizing my life (fainting, or worse). So I tapped out.

LOL

I should have done the smart thing – kept hold of the wrist, stepped over that arm and fallen back into the arm bar.

At any rate, I recommend Jujitsu.

Grappling can be a lot of fun.

An arm bar or wrist lock is a good way to stop a fight – you can hurt your opponent (make him feel pain, that is) without injuring him. Let him say “Please stop. That hurts!” or “Uncle!” and you can let go, and both of you can walk away – and nobody has a black eye, broken jaw, or missing teeth.

Of course, if you can walk away without any physical conflict, that’s usually the best thing to do.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JuJitsu

Hi Ahmadov,

The grandson of your uncle is great. :smiley: why don’t you like Tae Kwon Do at all? I like Kung Fu too. It’s naturally grounded.

Hi Nina,

That was really interesting about your history of learning martial arts. :smiley: Oh, you have ever broken three 2.5 cm pieces of wood?? :smiley: I see…it’s only repeated practice that will bring you to the previous state of strength to break them. Would you like to go for it if you have a chance to? :D…Yes, I must…Haiyaark!!! :lol:

Hi Jamie,

It’s wonderful that you got a black belt in aikido. Are you interested to pursue “Kung Fu”? You seem to have a talent to do everything. :smiley: And I believe martial arts should be used mainly for self-defense and it makes me even hopeful when I saw you wrote that you could use it to take care of your parents in their old age.

Hi Tom,

You could have beaten your sensei (Japanese Teacher) :x :lol:…
Thank you for such a vivid description. Jujutsu sounds like a good thing to do.
Unluckily, :cry: jujutsu isn’t popular here and it isn’t taught around here either.

Thanks

In English, the grandson of you uncle is called your second cousin once removed.

Our aikido instructor from Japan prefers that we do only one martial art at a time. That is, we should do only aikido, and if we want to do another martial art, we should quit aikido and practice that one. He says that if you do two at once, it is too confusing mentally and physically. I tried to do Shotokan karate once at the same time I did aikido, and I found that in aikido my feet weren’t doing exactly what they were supposed to, so I quit karate.

Our teacher tells us that if you want to know more than one martial art, you should get very high in one of them, and then have someone who is very high in the other one show you. “Then you will understand,” he says, but he believes that at lower levels doing two martial arts just causes problems in both.

Our aikido instructor doesn’t allow us to teach self-defense in our classes. He says that self-defense is not part of aikido. (Aikido techniques really can be used for self-defense, though.)

It was mostly the mental training that helped me care for my parents, not so much the physical training.

I forgot to mention that one time at a Buddhist temple I met a Vietnamese doctor who loved aikido, because he said that its mental training had helped him survive a North Vietnamese prison camp. He says that many other people died mainly because they worried too much, but that aikido had taught him to stay calm and take things moment by moment. I have heard the same from a man who was in a Russian prison camp, but that man hadn’t practiced aikido.

Thanks indeed, Jamie! I felt that there must be a special phrase for that but I did not know. Now I will remember it for good, as that guy is very popular in my country and I am very proud of him :slight_smile:

By the way, second cousin and second cousin once removed refer to different people, don’t they?
My dictionary says “second cousin” means “any person who is a child of a cousin of your mother or father” but it does not mention any expression with “once removed”…

I, in fact, got confused. The grandson of your uncle is your first cousin once removed. That means he’s the child of your first cousin.

My Oxford American Dictionary has this definition under removed. It says “separated by a particular number of steps of descent : his second cousin once removed.”

Here is how it works, as I understand it.

You and your uncle’s children are first cousins.
You and your first cousin’s children are first cousins once removed.
You and your first cousin’s grandchildren are first cousins twice removed.
And so on.

Your children and your first cousin’s children are second cousins.
Your children and your first cousin’s grandchildren are second cousins once removed.
It goes on like that.

I have a cousin in my city who is approximately my age, but he is in a later generation. My great-grandfather is his great-great-grandfather. My father is the first cousin of his grandfather. His father and I are second cousins, so this cousin who is my age is my second cousin once removed. His son is my second cousin twice removed.

Is that confusing enough for everybody?

I think it makes sence, but one needs some time to apply this in his own life in order to feel it in reality…

Thank you a lot, Jamie…

Sorry, I meant “sense”…

I have watched several Chinese films which show mental and physical confusion of martial artists who pratice too many. :lol: So we can’t do two martial arts at the same time. It must be one at a time.

I must admit I heard this on TV too. This is really interesting. :smiley:

So could I ask what ‘aikido’ is really for, if it’s not mainly for self-defense?

So it sounds that aikido is for mental training…
Isn’t it interesting!

:shock: That’s really confusting. :roll: :cry:

Hi,

Speaking of cousins, we might like to know these as well:

All the best

EU

The only ones among these expressions that I know or have used are “third cousin” (who is the child of your parents’ second cousin) and kissing cousin (usually pronounced kissin’ cousin). A kissin’ cousin is a cousin who is distantly enough related that it’s legal to marry him or her.

“Kissing cousin” sounds strange…