have something at one’s tongue’s end

Would you tell me whether I am right about my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

She…had Shakespeare and Milton at her tongues end.

have something at one’s tongue’s end = know by heart

Thanks for your efforts.

I’ve never heard of “at her tongue’s end”. Where is your quote from Ivo? It is not recognised on Google.

It sounds a lot like “on the tip of her tongue”, but that has a different meaning - ‘on the tip of your tongue’ means that you know something but you can’t quite remember it at a particular moment.

I’ve never heard of “at her tongue’s end”.

Hi Thredder,

I am left with the impression that your tongue runs before your wit.

Do you really think that you are an all-knowing great authority in English language?

Usually every self-reliant person think that he’s one of the smartest fellows on the Earth who certainly knows the time of day more then a bit.

I talk like I do know my way around. Who would have believed it? You may be sure, I have had a great experience.

Don’t take me literally but it never occurred to me that you could have bitten your tongue off.

You may find the sentence in question in (OED) and you bet in my personal notebook.

You have to know that the tongue is not steel but it cuts.

Ivo

This is the reason I don’t other answering Ivo’s posts these days. If he doesn’t get the answer he requires he argues that you don’t know what you are talking about.

Hi B,

I agree. Usually I think Ivo’s posts are a waste of time because they don’t seek an answer, just a confirmation of what he/she already knows. This time, however, I actually thought I could help as I (a fairly knowledgeable, though far from ‘all-knowing’, native speaker) had never heard of the phrase in question used in normal speech (and I even went so far to try to help as to check Google, which is normally a good indication of what is current in language). But I suppose that my good will is unappreciated. I will go back to ignoring such posts.

shame…

thredder