"Has Had" and "Have Had"

Dear Teachers,

Please explain me in details, when to use “has had” and When “have had”

Also provide the examples

Thanks
Deepak

I / you / we / they / the plural noun … have had.
she / he / it / the singular noun … has had.

No, at first i would like to know your name beesneees and now about my post. My question was on uses of ‘has had’ and have had. Which u told me i already know. I want to know that why we use combination of present and past tense two helping verbs “has had” and “have had” . I want to know the rules of uses. How it can be possible that we use the present and past tense verbs in same sentence. How?? What is the rule of its uses. Further also tell me the difference in given below sentence. “I have taken bath.” and “I have had taken bath.” REGARDS, Deepak

‘Has had’ and ‘have had’ should not be seen as two separate tenses. Together they combine to make a tense called the ‘present perfect’ tense. This tense has several uses but the main one is to talk about an action which started in the past and continues up to the present or has only just ceased in the present.

I have had this computer for about a year. = I still have it now.
He has had the limp since an accident in 2006. = He still has the limp now or it has just disappeared in the last couple of days.
We have not had visitors for two weeks. = We still don’t have any visitors or we are just receiving our first visitors.

With regard to your last question:
I have taken a bath - is correct (You have only just finished taking the bath. See use 1 above.)
I have had taken a bath - is grammatically incorrect and shouldn’t be used.

Other verbs can be used instead of ‘had’ to make the present perfect tense, as can be seen in my next set of examples.
We also use the Present Perfect Tense to talk about experiences. It is important if we have done it in our lives or not. It is not important when we did it.

I have been abroad three times.
Anna has never drunk alcohol.
We have eaten sushi many times.
You have had good marks in all your English tests.

We also use the Present Perfect Tense to talk about a past action that has a result in the present.

I have lost my keys. = I don’t have them now.
Jimmy has gone to Mexico. = He isn’t here now.
Have you finished your work? = Is your work ready?

hi ! Beee

is it correct?

1)We have had good times in Paris last year.
2)we enjoyed the vocation we have had in/at Paris last year

edit:
please help me with the preposition in/at also.

thank you
Learner_2010

Thanks Beeesneeees,
Thanks a lot, i have understood it now.

Here teachers really have execellent knowledge…

I had also asked your name?

Regards,
Deepak

Hey i am Ashish

i want to ask a problem about “Have had”

why “i have had taken a bath” is incorrect???
and if so then what does the meaning of “I have had dinner”??

“have + verb” is the construction for this tense.

In your first sentence the verb is ‘taken’, so you cannot use the extra verb ‘had’. (have + past form of ‘to take’)
In your second sentence the verb is ‘had’ - there is no other verb following it. (have + past form of ‘to have’)

hi ! Beee

is it correct?

1)We have had good times in Paris last year.
2)we enjoyed the vocation we have had in/at Paris last year

edit:
please help me with the preposition in/at also.

thank you
Learner_2010

so given below sentence considered to be correct or not

“I HAVE HAD SENT YOU A MESSAGE”??

is it right??

1. We have had good times… is possible (have plus the past tense of the vern ‘had’).
  2. is NOT correct and should be ‘We enjoyed the vacation we had in Paris last year.’ The action does not continue into the present, so simple past tense is needed.

Generally, use ‘in’ with names of places (in Africa, in England, in Glasgow, in Mozambique’)

This message is not correct because you cannot use the past tense of the verb ‘to have’ (had) and the past tense of the verb ‘to send’ (sent) together.

I have sent you a message. (have + past tense of ‘to send’) is correct.

Thnks Beeesneees, i understood now but let me more clear about it.

when we use “have had” together e.g i have had something, it means that thing i had in past and that thing exist in present also. is it??

please could you tell me more example about it and about “Had had” also. so that i will never confuse in that thing.

Thnks.

Have you read post #4 above? I provided the main usage of the present perfect tense and a number of examples there.

You can find more about it here and here.

As for ‘had had’, that is the past perfect form