happy about/for

Hi,
If you take the sentence, “I am very happy about the players and for the club” (said immediately after they won), could it mean that you are pleased about what they achieved and you’re proud to be a member of the club?

It’s not very clear, even when placed in that context. I think people would understand the meaning, which is the most important thing (particularly in a non-formal conversation), but I think there are better ways of indicating those sentiments in terms of good English. However, to do that would necessitate a longer sentence.

I’m not sure if this would help:

‘Despite his side’s eight-game unbeaten run, Wednesday manager Carlos Carvalhal said the Owls had just a “10% chance of progress”.
The reality made his estimate look inaccurate to say the least,…
Wednesday owner Dejphon Chansiri wants the club in the Premier League by 2017 and on this evidence they could hold their own in the top flight.
“I am very happy about the players and for the club, it is an important victory for the club,” said Carvalhal. “It was a full stadium, with a new generation of fans. We deserved what we got.”‘
bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34578025

–Still unclear if his choice of ‘happy about’ and ‘happy for’ was deliberate bearing some specific meaning (he could say, for example, “I am very happy about/for the players and the club”) or Carlos Carvalhal isn’t expert enough in English.