Hand on heart in other languages?

The idiom ‘to put one’s hand on one’s heart’ has an equivalent in German which sounds very similar (Hand aufs Herz). But as far as I know the expression does not exist in Russian. What your language? Do you have a similar expression containing the collocation ‘hand on heart’?

In Italian it’s exactly the same: “Mettersi la mano sul cuore” (lit. “Put one’s hand on the heart”).

In Japanese “手を胸に当てる” “te wo mune ni ateru” Put one’s hand to one’s chest/breast, but I think it may come from the English.

1 Like

Hello ), I tried to recall if it exists in Russian or not and… Положа руку на сердце , Torsten, there is we also use this when say something sincerely so +1 language to your list of Hand on heart in other languages.

1 Like

The idiom ‘to put one’s hand on one’s heart’ has an equivalent in the
Russian language too. It’s ‘положа руку на сердце’.

1 Like

And how often do Russian speakers use the expression?

Hello Torsten,
Thanks for the question. Well, I’ll do a try to answer it. I can say Russian speakers use this idiomatic expression very often. Moreover, one can find it in works of famous Russian writers such as Leo Tolstoy, Michail Lermontov and so on.

1 Like

In Romanian it’s “cu mana pe inima”. Exactly as it is in English.

2 Likes

In hungarian it sounds like “Tedd a kezed a szívedre” It is bit different from the english version, because in hungarian it means “Put your hand to your heart”.

1 Like