Greetings from Kiev

Hi, this is just a quick note to let you know I’m in Kiev with my wife and daughter. At the moment I’m sitting in one of those fancy Internet cafes along with a couple of young people many of whom are playing online games. Kiev has changed again since my last visit in 2005.

Anyway, I’m glad our online community has been growing every day and I will check back with you again soon…
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: Where does this conversation probably take place?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

Good to hear from you again. Things seem to be going swimmingly and we’re all keeping an eye on the shop.

Best wishes

Alan

Hi Alan,

Thanks a lot for your immediate response – it’s great to read some fresh idioms again.

By the way, I’m struggling a bit with the American keyboard, some of the keys are in different places than I’m used to…[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two university professors[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten!

I began to wonder where you are. But I assumed that you celebrate holidays and whish you a pleasant time in Kiev too.

Have you seen Vitalij?

Michaiel

Hi Michael, my short absence clearly has brought about some positive changes. For example, you have put your photo online which is good because now we can see whom we are talking to :-)…[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture in social science class[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

Thanks for stopping by and looking in on us. We aren’t being too naughty while you’re away, are we? I think we all try to behave like grown-ups, anyway – which I’m not sure is always good, though.

Enjoy your family holiday and build lots of memories!

The art and architecture of Kyiv are world treasures. have you taken a look? The Cathedral of St. Sophia, Podol, The Percherska Lavra, etc…

Hi Conchita, yes it’s such a good feeling to know that everything with our forum is running smoothly and even our 30/30 Challenge is still active. Many thanks to Amy for her invaluable support!
Talk to you soon,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening lectures: What is the main difference between a fad and a trend?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Nami,

It sounds as if you have been to Kiev too? Yes it is a beautiful city with an impressive architecture indeed. Also, the language situation in Kiev is very interesting too. Ukrainian is now the official language although most people in the urban areas speak Russian most of the time.

However, the vast majority of the Ukrainian citizens speak Ukrainian as a second language. Now that almost every TV show is in Ukrainian rather than in Russian, the average person here is exposed to two languages on a daily basis.

It’s very interesting to see how Ukrainians are shaping their new national identity and I think they are on the right track…[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a marine biology class[YSaerTTEW443543]

I haven’t been to Kiev yet, but I have friend coming from Ukraine, this is why I knew something about Kiev, also we tested many birds specimen from Ukraine last winter,

It’s nice to hear from you all,now I’m sure we are learning not only English but also culture,different experiences,like a “huge friendship community” :wink:
Cris.