Great-grand father/ mother How do you address them./ Please take a look

Hi, @Torsten @Andrea @Alan @Anglophile

I’ve known my mother’s grandparents on both sides. Since I’ve decided to write a book about the life of my grandmother, how do you address them? Can you say: ‘Great-grandfather, what are you doing?’ It sounds very unnatural to me.

2 Likes

This is what I found on the internet.

3 Likes

Why don’t you shorten it and say to introduce Greatpa, Greatma etc as new words?image

2 Likes

@Masme Hi Marc, hope you’re well!

Yes, you’re right! It’s normal!

Great-grandparents
Great-grandmother
Great-grandfather

2 Likes

How about ‘Urgroßoma’?

2 Likes

And what the devil is that supposed to mean, you cheeky little rascal :grinning: I already know, but it is so cute. hahahahahaha

1 Like

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for asking. Well, I’m fine. How are you and your family?

2 Likes

Hi Anglophile

It seems to me you’ve loosened up a bit. :joy: Thank you!

3 Likes

@Masme Good thanks :wink:

2 Likes

So I could say: ‘Great-grandfather, please tell me some more stories about the Great War.’ ? :+1:

2 Likes

@Masme Marc, as I never met any great-grandparents myself it’s difficult to give you a clear answer. Normally, I would talk about them.

I would imagine one would use a nickname rather as it would be shorter.

I know even for grandfather or grandmother …could be grandma / granny or grandpa / gramps

So maybe in the family there would be a nickname for great-grandmother or great-grandfather.

What do you think? :thinking:

2 Likes

I have seen it written in an e-book on the web, by an English author, but I don’t know if it’s correct. Thank you anyhow.

3 Likes

Hey there, everyboby, on the topic,
It’ s natural in Bulgaria to address both grandparents and grea t- great parents as" grandpa" or " grandma"
Hristina:)))

2 Likes

I think that the answer depends very much on your family. You mention that you knew your grandparents. What name did you or your parents use? Chances are, you would use the same, or nearly the same familiar name as your parents used, since you would have learned a familiar name for them from your Mother at a very young age. The name great-grandfather sounds rather formal.

In my family, the only Great grandfather was addressed as Pop-Pop. This was the same name as the child’s father used for the great-grandfather (his grandfather). In fact, the child used the same name for both his grandfather and his great grandfather, which was only a little confusing.

Of course, your family may be different.

3 Likes

Hey thee Arinker,

As I have posted in our country, Bulgaria, both grandparents and great-grandparents are addressed " grandpa/dranddee/escpecially if you want sth or " granma/ grannie, the same story. Well, the region and city, I live, people often, calll only drandmas, a very special title, simililar to the word for mum.

For example I called my drandma ''mother Tina" as she brought me up until I was 3 , I could not recognise my parents as they were busy working and was crying a lot when any of them tried to hug me, whatever, and they had to call her to come to to Varna /in the eastern part of the country, she lived the other side of the country until I got used to them. That is what my mum had told me.
Best wishes,
Kris

2 Likes