GRE Arguement Passage

In a recent poll, 71% of respondents reported that they cast votes in the most recent national election. Voting records show, however, that only 60% of eligible voters actually voted in that election.

Which of the following pieces of evidence, if true, would provide the best explanation for the apparent discrepancy?

A The margin of error for the survey was plus or minus five three percentage points.
B Fifteen percent of the survey’s respondents were living overseas at the time of the election.
C Prior research has shown that that people who actually do vote are also more likely to respond to polls than those who do not vote.
D Many people who intend to vote are prevented from doing so by last-minute conflicts on election day or other complications.
E Some people confused the national election with other recent elections when responding to the poll.

Hi Luchen,
The answer is C :frowning:

I found on thread on this:
manhattangmat.com/forums/mgm … t6511.html

But I am still not convinced.

Thanks,
Namrta

To me, (E) provides as good an explanation as ©.

I can see how in © the percentage of ‘yes’ respondents is higher than the percentage of eligible voters, because not everyone who was an eligible voter responded to the poll.
I think it just as likely to be (E): that people confused national elections with regional elections. From my own experience, thinking back to the last time I voted, I can’t remember now what level )regional or national) that election was.

Sorry I agree that c is the best answer although e could work. I got my relationship wrong. The people who responded to the poll are also those most likely to vote so the poll would over represent the number of voters.

So much more elegantly explained than I did. :wink: