Grammer vs. grammar

Why is it that so many learners of English write ‘grammer’ instead of ‘grammar’? Is it just because of the pronunciation of the word? I often wonder why it seems so hard for so many people to use a spell checker when they type their messages.

What do you think?

I agree with you Torsten, hereafter i’ll practice to use spell checker before posting and hopefully error free sentences (With the help of this site :smiley: )

P.S: I would appreciate, if you teach me the best way for effective communication.

1 Like

Hi Deejam,

It’s great to hear you want to improve your spelling skills. What spell checker are you going to use?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: A writer is answering interview questions[YSaerTTEW443543]

I agree that spell checkers and grammar checkers are useful tools, but they should not be relied on exclusively. Spell checkers sometimes fail to identify spelling errors, and grammar checkers can also give you incorrect feedback. For example, in the following sentence, my MS Word grammar checker suggests changing the word “is” to “are” rather than inserting the word “it” after “is” (which would be correct):

• Why is that so many learners of English write ‘i’ instead of ‘I’?
    :wink:
    Interestingly, if I take MS Word’s grammar advice and simply change “is” to “are” in that sentence, it then goes on to identify the word “write” as a grammar error.
    :lol:
1 Like

I use Google chrome browser, I guess browser itself has the spell checker works on text input fields and underlines misspelled words.

Is there any other good tool which checks for both grammar and spelling?

I would like to know what spell checker you guys using.

I find easy to type ‘i’ (single key press) then ‘I’ (Shift+i)

-Lazy Deejam :mrgreen:

Please do correct me if you find any mistakes.

1 Like

gramar is a most importent for learn in engiish.

1 Like

Hi Muku,

Would you please try to reduce the number of typos you make? For example, you can use a spell checker. You made 5 spelling mistakes in just one short sentence. Please let me know what you think.
Many thanks,
Torsten

Hi alll
Well, let me make it clear here. Not all people spell Grammar with E instead of A. I guess, just people whose second foreign language is French cause Grammar in French is Written with an E. It’s just a minor problem called “interlanguage” There are other words like Center/centre… I hope i added sth interesting :smiley:

1 Like

I don’t agree with the guy who said that grammar is the most important thing to learn in a language. For me, vocabulary is of a vital importance. Look at this image. I strongly believe in this. Imagin ur in a windy n cold place. All u need is a little wall to protect you. U have some bricks. Are u gonne wait till u get cement to built that wall or just put a brick on another ? Will that wall protect you from wind and cold or not ? See ? Bircks (= vocabulary ) are more important than cement (= Grammar) :lol: what do u think guys ???

1 Like

Hi Englishprof. I actually agree with you that grammar is not the MOST important, but it’s important.

I also must say that I disagree with your style of writing on an English forum. People who are trying hard to learn standard English will benefit from seeing full words and not text chat. Do “u” agree?

1 Like

Hello Torsten,

Thanks for advise I will try that, but what about I wrote to our frind KHan

Best Regards,
Makram

grammar grammar

1 Like

Hi Makram,

Please read advise vs. advice.

Many thanks,
Torsten

Grammar misspelled as “grammer” reminds me of the way some would change “more than” into “more then”.

1 Like

What really makes me wonder,is when native speakers write could/should of done something!!!Why do they say “I could have done it, but write” I could of done it", when it should be a contracted form Could’ve done it:):slight_smile:

1 Like

You are right, Natasha, “they could of done” much mischief to English.

1 Like

Maybe it’s better to write someting in word and then use the cut and past command after we have spelled checked it. It’s impossible to spellcheck when using this editor in the forum.
/Maria

1 Like

Someone please explain me the difference between “could have” and “could of”.

1 Like

Could of done it does not exist. There is Could have done and there is Could’ve done. The problem is that could’ve done sounds the same as could of done.:):):slight_smile:

1 Like

There’s an even lazier way to write it:

Coulda

1 Like

It is a same meaning. It is very import to make a sentence. It does not correctly put the place, sentence are meaningless. It make present, past and future.

1 Like