Grammatical and idioms problems:

Someone help me explain clearly these sentences in a clear way. I’m very grateful for this. Thanks in advance!

1. " I could tell that John didn’t know…had been an accident.
    The correct answer is “where” , if I put " there" here, is there any mistakes? help me explain!

2. help me definite the explicit meaning of this sentence:
    “Tom are not comparing like with like” despite seeing it in OXFORD dictionary , I still can not understand it clearly!

3. a." Ken have a reputation of being a reckless river."
    b.“I have a reputation for being able to make any room into a home from home.”

How can we tell the difference between 2 sentences: have reputation for/have reputation of? when we use “for” or “of”?

4.These days were gone when each nation was like an island.?
what does this phrase mean?
I need your answers soon![/u]

1. The correct answer is not ‘where’. ‘There’ works.

2. Something appears to be missing. There must be another person mentioned before Tom for the plural ‘are’ to be used. As it stands, the sentence should read, ‘Tom is not comparing like for like’.
    If you ‘compare like for like’, you compare one item with another identical or similar item.

3. Ken has (not have) a reputation of being a reckless driver.
    Ken has a reputation for being a reckless driver.
    I have a reputation for being able to make any room into a home from home.
    I have a reputation of being able to make any room into a home from home.

4. Those (not usually ‘these’ as it is in the past) days were gone…
    That time is past.
    No significant difference in practical use. They’re often interchangeable.

Yes, I can see my fault!
2.“Ton are not comparing like with like”, said Margaret!
4.The days were gone when each nation was like an island

I rush to type them!It is my carelessness! I’m really sorry …!

1, use the correct tense/form of the Verbs:

(convince)…that somebody was trying to poison him, he refused to eat anything.
key:convinced ,but my answer is “Having been convinced”, is it a correct one.?

2.preposition, phrasal verb:

Before you finish this project, check … … your supervisor for further instruction.
Key: back with / but this phrasal verb can not be found in dictionary, is it a phrasal verb, and what does it mean? or this sentence has another answer for the blanks?

3.REWRITE:
Language group conflicts may persist beyond the situation which gave rise to them.
—> (MY ANSWER) Language group conflicts were risen by persisting beyond the situation. --> is it correct?
4.Help me to tell the difference between: Now, presently, at the moment, at this time.

According to magazine article I read recently, we…live in an age of increasing leisure.

5.I’m not rich, I can’t afford to put out that kind of money!
put out? help me the define this phrasal verb

Thanks everyone in advanced! My best regard!

1. Yes, your answer could also be correct.
  2. ‘back with’ here means ‘return to/confirm with your supervisor’. To me use of ‘check back with’ sounds vaguely American. I’d just use ‘check with’…
  3. ‘may arise’, instead of ‘were risen’.
    at the moment’ and ‘at the time’ would not be used there because you could not split the verb ‘we live’ by an entire phrase. The other two would both fit with no significant difference in meaning. There is an indefinite article missing before ‘magazine’.
  4. Pay out

I have two other problems:

1. My husband brought me some flowers today. He must be…something
    ?? key is after, be after means what?
    2.I’m afraid I can’t come to the concert with you.I’m…my earn in work this week?
    –> key is on: be on one’s earn in work with: is this an idiom? and its meaning?

‘… to be after something’ is an idiomatic phrase, meaning ‘to want something’, particularly in the sense of wanting a favour in return for an unexpected favour or kindness.

My husband bought me flowers. He must want something. = he wants you to do something for him in return for the flowers.

Sorry, the second one doesn’t make any sense to me at all. I can’t see what that might mean. Are you certain you’ve copied the whole thing correctly? It would make sense if it were ‘own’ not ‘earn’.

Help me define this phrase: " TUCK YOUR SHIRT INTO YOUR PANTS/TROUSER" thanks!

This man has his shirt tucked into his pants/trousers: artoffashion.de/bilder/produ … /151_1.jpg

This man doesn’t: cdn.styleforum.net/6/60/60c3f48c_P2060268.jpg

“Tuck your shirt into your pants/trousers” is telling someone to arrange their shirt like the man in the first picture.

thansk! it is litteral meaning! ?

In my experience, this expression is usually meant literally. I don’t really know it as a figurative expression. However, to be completely certain one would need to know the full context of the situation in which it was said.

In addition to what Bev suggested (I’m on my own), it could be:
“I’m up to my ears in work”.

1. “I have a reputation for being able to make any room into a home from home.”
    I can’t understand this sentence.
    What is the meaning for ‘make any room into a home from home’?
  2. “Ton are not comparing like with like”
    Could you please explain this second sentence. I couldn’t get it.

Hi,

In your first sentence “a home from home” is an idiom, you’ll find an explanation here: thefreedictionary.com/home%20from%20home
So, “to make any room into a home from home” means to make the room look comfortable, so anybody can feel in it at home.

As for your second sentence, I haven’t got a clue.

This could could conceivably make sense, for example if “Ton” is the name of an organisation, but I’m guessing that “Ton are” has been garbled or mistyped.

“compare like with like” is a set expression. It means to compare things that are of the same nature, so that the comparison makes sense. For example, if one website quotes prices in pounds, and another quotes price in dollars, then comparing the prices directly makes no sense – you are “not comparing like with like”.

“Ton” is not mistyped at all!
The whole sentence: “Ton are not comparing like with like”, said Margaret.

Help me rewrite this sentence:
The old wooden floor collapsed under their weight.
–> The old wooden…

Oh, OK. For interest, what is “Ton”?

The sentence is OK. What are you trying to achieve by rewriting it?

REWRITE SO THAT IS HAS THE SAME MEANINGS AS THE ONE GIVEN

Please turn off your caps lock key, Frenzyduonga. It makes your reply sound ‘angry’.
There are many ways to rewrite sentences so that they are said in a different way but have the same meaning. Dozy was probably trying to ascertain what aspect you needed to focus on. If this is an exercise, then the recasting usually has a specific criteria to follow. If you cannot give further guidance then my suggestion would be:
The old, wooden floor collapsed beneath them.
However, there are so many options. You could, for example, change almost every word:
“The ancient, timbered floor fell down because of their mass.”

If there is no mistype of the word ‘ton’, could it be ‘ToN’ the Dutch Political Party, Trots op Nederland?

I’m really sorry, i ve’ made an impolite mistake, capslock had been turned on before I typed, in VietNamese there is no difference, hehe I forgot I was using English, so sympathize for my mistake!!!