Grades encourage students to work harder at school. Do you agree or disagree? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer

There are many ways to encourage students in school such as prizes and compliments. In my opinion, grades are always the most important and highly effective methods to motivate students to work harder. I feel this way for two reasons, which I will explore in the following essay.

First, students who are graded achieve more comprehensive knowledge of academic subjects. When students have an opportunity to earn grades, they will spend more time on their assignments and will absorb more information about the subject. On the other hand, students who do not have worry about their grades won’t work very hard and will only superficially understand their subjects. My own experience is a compelling example of this. During my undergraduate study I had to complete project work in chemistry. According to the course syllabus, the project work would make up half of my grade in the class, so I did my work with diligence and care. I’m sure that students work hard to get high score from their professors.

Secondly, grades motivate students because they are a way to determine which people in the group are brilliant. Grades are assigned in a systematic way, so they clearly demonstrate which student in a class are the best and the brightest. For example in my bachelor of science first year we needed to write review paper which was not graded. I completed my work without any labor. In contrast, I spent hours in the library searching related papers and books for my project work which was graded. In today’s competitive environment grades absolutely motivates students to do their best.

In conclusion, I strongly believe that grades encourage students to learn more and more. This is because they force and motivate students to study harder.

3 Likes

There are many ways to encourage students in school, such as awards and compliments. In my opinion, grades are always the most important and effective way to motivate students to work harder. There are two reasons for this, which I will explain in the following essay.

First, students who are graded acquire more comprehensive knowledge in academic subjects. When students have the opportunity to receive grades, they spend more time on their assignments and absorb more information about the subject. On the other hand, students who do not have to worry about their grades will not put forth much effort and will have only a superficial understanding of their subjects. My own experience is a compelling example of this. During my undergraduate studies, I had to do a project paper in chemistry. According to the syllabus, the project work was to be half of my course grade, so I worked diligently and carefully. I am sure students work hard to get a good grade from their professors.

Second, grades motivate students because they are a way to determine which individuals in the group are brilliant. Grades are assigned systematically so that they clearly show which students in a class are the best and brightest. For example, in my first year as a Bachelor of Science, we had to write a paper that was not graded. I completed my paper without any effort. In contrast, I spent hours in the library searching for relevant papers and books for my project paper, which was graded. In today’s competitive environment, grades definitely motivate students to do their best.

In conclusion, I strongly believe that grades encourage students to learn more and more. This is because they force and motivate students to study harder.

4 Likes

Dear Torsten,
Warm greetings! I am grateful for your support.

1 Like