Grades based on exams or based on class participation essay!

In some class, course grades are based on solely on exams, while in other some classes, grades are based more on class participation more on class participation that on exams. Which type of grading do you prefer? use specific reasons to support your response.

In every modern society, grades play a significant role in assessing students’ academic ability. Grades are usually what motivate and encourage students, and increase their eagerness to learning. There has been a big discussion whether grades should be based exams or based on class participation. In my opinion, grades should be based on students’ participation in class since it has a lot of benefits to students and helps in improving the quality of education.

On the one hand, assessing students based on their participation in class has many benefits. First of all, if students were assessed based on what they achieve in class, most probably they would start studying hard for each class in order to impress their teacher and show him/her how well they studied. For example; when I was at high school we had a teacher who was giving us grades based on our participation in class. Consequently, at the day of the final exam, we had a good perception of what we had learned in his class. Furthermore; usually teachers assign difficult home works for students to do at home, and if their grades were based on their participation, every student would try hard to do this homework in order to show the teacher how hard they are working. From the above discussed, it can be noted that the quality of education would improve.

On the other hand, there are a lot of disadvantages of grading students’ based on what they do on the exam. Usually when students prepare for a final exam, they would most probably stay up all night to study for this test. Hence, on the day of the exam; they would be stressed and tensioned. Moreover, we must put into consideration that something wrong might happen to the student such as the death of one his/her family members, or the fact that he/she might get sick. As a result, they would not be able to show up on the exam day, and fail. Thus, grading students based on exams doesn’t work for the sake of students.

All in all, grading students based on their class participation is the best thing for them. This method reduces the tension and stress, and provides chances for those who want to show their teacher how hard they are working. Above all, this method increases students’ incentive and learning.

Thanks in advance Mr. Kitos :slight_smile:

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two students at the library

In some class, course grades are based SOLELY ON exams, while in SOME OTHER classes, grades are based more on class participation more on class participation that on exams. Which type of grading do you prefer? use specific reasons to support your response.

Take care in getting your topic title correct Moe.

In every modern society, grades play a significant role in assessing students’ academic ability. Grades are usually what motivate and encourage students, and increase their eagerness to learning. There has been a big discussion whether grades should be based ON exams or on class participation. In my opinion, grades should be based on students’ participation in class since it has a lot of benefits FOR students and helps in improving the quality of education.

On the one hand, assessing students based on their participation in class has many benefits. First of all, if students were assessed based on what they achieve in class, most probably they would start studying hard for each class in order to impress their teacher and show him/her how well they studied. For example; when I was at high school we had a teacher who was giving us grades based on our participation in class. Consequently, at the day of the final exam, we had a good perception of what we had learned in his class. Furthermore; usually teachers assign difficult home-work for students to do at home, and if their grades were based on their participation, every student would try hard to do this homework in order to show the teacher how hard they are working. From the above discussed, it can be noted that the quality of education would improve.

On the other hand, there are a lot of disadvantages of grading students’ based on HOW WELL they do IN the exam. Usually when students prepare for a final exam, they would most probably stay up all night to study for this test. Hence, on the day of the exam; they would be stressed and tensE. Moreover, we must TAKE into consideration that something TERRIBLE might happen to the student, such as the death of one his/her family members, or the fact that he/she might get sick. As a result, they would not be able to show up on the exam day, and fail. Thus, grading students based on exams doesn’t work for the sake of students.

All in all, grading students based on their class participation is the best thing for them. This method reduces tension and stress, and provides chances for those who want to show their teacher how hard they are working. Above all, this method increases students’ incentive and learning.

Your best essay to date Moe. Well done.

Kitos. 9/10
TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between two students at the library
[/quote]

Thanks a lot Mr. Kitos, I committed some silly mistakes. I don’t know if I deserved to get 9/10.
I think you missed a place where I needed amendment.

if their grades were based on their participation, every student would try hard to do this homework in order to show the teacher how hard they are working.

Since I stated every student would try hard to do this …
then I got to keep talking about the subject *every student * therefore, the sentence should be * in order to show the teacher how hard he/she is working. *