Goodbye Brexit, welcome Fridays For Future

The EU summit in Sibiu was supposed to be all about Brexit but now PM May is the only one who hasn’t been invited to the show because Europe is fed up with the Brexit nonsense and we now want to solve real problems such as climate change. So my message to my British friends is please finally stop messing around and get your act together, get with the program!

2 Likes

Like Voltaire I prefer to cultivate my garden -

5 Likes

That’s a beautiful example of a truly British garden, Alan. Thumbs up! I see a lilac plant in the centre, is that right? By the way, did you know that the Royal Family was in Leipzig today?

3 Likes

What a beautiful garden :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thanks for that, Torsten. It’s actually a wisteria. Yes, I heard Charles trying out his German. Not too bad, I thought.

Alan

3 Likes

I’ve just looked up ‘wisteria’ in Wikipedia and learned a new German word: Blauregen

Very interesting. As for Charles speaking German I think it’s a great gesture that he actually makes the effort while our neither our incumbent chancellor nor her probable successor seem to be able to speak English at a decent level. Anegret Kramm-Karrrenbauer aka AKK (since nobody can pronounce her name properly) has recently given an interview at the BBC which had to translated from German into English. Not a good sign.

3 Likes

It’s wonderful, Alan. But I’m reminded of

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude!

All the best.

4 Likes

Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for that. Yes, my favourite period in English Literature is the Romantic period. I am reading a book at the moment called The Immortal Dinner describing a dinner party organised by the artist G R Haydon and the guests included among others - Keats, Charles Lamb, Wordsworth and Coleridge, What a treat that must have been!

5 Likes

You’re welcome, Alan. Yes, it was so memorable as to be called immortal. We are tempted to wish we had been there!

3 Likes

Really a wonderful view, Alan.
What I wonder is whether you can make out any influence of climate change. We here can.

3 Likes

Hi Miot,

Thanks for that. Yes we feel the change in the UK - heatwaves seem more common like the current one and also excessive rainfall. At this very moment there’s a small town of a few thousand people in the north of England where the population have had to leave their homes at a moment’s notice because the dam holding back a reservoir has cracked and if there is heavy rain again this afternoon, the town will disappear under water.

3 Likes