Good Appetite vs. Good Appetite further on

In Hungary when we go to a table where people have lunch we say Good Appetite

When we finish lunch and leave the table, we say Good Appetite further on

What does the English say in similar situation?

Hi

What I hear is “Enjoy your meal!” or just “Have a nice meal!”

By the way, can I add here my own question? (of course, as an off-topic. Sorry, Atilla, for my breaking in… )

Eat well – when can we use the phrase directly? :slight_smile:

‘Eat well and enjoy your journey.’ © “The Diabetes Food & Nutrition Bible”
:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

In my first language the expressions like ‘for/to your health’ are normally used ‘directly’ - at the table :slight_smile:

But they also can be said in an indirect sense, for example, when somebody thanks you for some your help, you can answer something like ‘for your health’ (=eat well? :slight_smile: :)) – it sounds fine, albeit a bit ironical, but not as a joke :slight_smile:

What equivalent (‘food’-)phrase(s) do you use in English (in colloquial speech) to answer when smb. thanks you (and you know that you’re really deserve that thanks :slight_smile: :wink: )
?

Tamara

P.S. Standard patterns like ‘Not at all’, ‘Don’t mention it’, etc., in my culture sound as if you yourself don’t value what you actually did (and demonstrate that).
Of course, such patterns are possible to use – and they are widely in use, even though they are rather… devaluating – for both sides. :slight_smile:

Sometimes we need to express directly and explicitly (but with standard patterns, though :slight_smile: ) something more than ‘It does not matter’. Not?

Enjoy your meal!

When you start or finish the lunch?

When start… Sorry, please, my hasty inattention to your actual question … :frowning: :?

Hi Attila

I agree with Tamara. “Enjoy your meal.” would be a typical expression. In very informal situations in the US, you might also hear “Dig in.” at the beginning of a meal. This is basically an informal way of saying that everyone should begin eating. In English you can also use the French expression “Bon app?tit.” But that’s less often used and tends to sound more formal than “Enjoy your meal.”

I don’t think there’s anything “standard” that is usually said at the end of a meal, though.

Hi Tamara
I’d generally understand “Eat well” to mean “eat healthy, nutritious food”. I suppose it could sometimes also be used to mean that someone “eats more than just a little”. :wink:

Amy

Hi Amy

Thank you for your answer (to my off-topic question :))

Oh, yes… I’ve failed to know that great national secret.

Just in case, when (at the end of a meal) someone compliments food I’ve cooked (sometimes that happens :lol: ) I just idiotically say ‘Welcome’ :slight_smile:

Bon Appetit is a French phrase used by some English speaking people who have been exposed to other cultures.

It does exist in some English dictionaries and you can find it in dictionary.com