Going Scilly

Here you can read and enjoy Alan’s latest newsletter: blog.english-team.com/2013/05/31/going-scilly/[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Didn’t you use to work in sales?[YSaerTTEW443543]

thank you for the newsletter.
I found so hard to read it. it a massive text, no paragraphs and its hard to follow the meaning of the text.
as far as I know every writer and all advices for good writing include short paragraphs because plane text annoy the readers and it hard to be read.

Dear Sir,
Thanks a lot to Sir Torsten and Sir Alan, who presented this Essay on the forum.
Of course this Essay was found to be lengthy, but it was so interesting when I read that.
Really I felt, as if I had visited Scilly without spending money. We can learn some new
words from this, but it is not difficult to understand, which I used to experience when I
read Sir Alan’s Essays.

There is no doubt Sir that you are next to Writer Shakesphere.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

Hello Allan and Torsten,

Many thanks for the newsletter. I told myself: Go ahead, and write something. My aim was to show some pictures about this outstanding world.
The Isles of Scilly is an archipelago off the southwestern tip of the Cornish peninsula of Great Britain. There are 56 small islands, but only 6 of them are inhabited: St Mary’s, Tresco, St Martin’s, St Agnes, Bryherand Gugh. Altogether they comprise 150 islands which together make up one of the world’s biggest archipelagos.

The Islands are officially designated as an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty(AONB) with a very special mix of plants and animal life. The Islands are famous for their birdlife, -because of its position, Scilly is the first landing for many migrant birds, including extreme rarities from North America and Siberia -particularly for Puffins and Storm Petrels, who breed here.

BIRDS
Puffins

Strom-petrel(s)

Rare migrants are an important feature on the Islands, particularly during the Autumn migration, but rare birds are seen on the Islands at other times of the year.

PLANTS:
On the Isles of Scilly there are 2012 kinds of types of plants . Some of them :
Tresco of Isles of Scilly

Sea mayweed growing on St Agnes one of the islands that make up the Isles of Scilly IPA © Sue Nottingham/ Plantlife

KEY HABITATS (WILD PLANTS)

The Isles of Scilly has been inhabited since the Stone Age. A description in Roman times describes Scilly as “Scillonia insula”.Remains of a prehistoric farm have been found on Nornour, which is now a small rocky skerry far too small for farming

A skerry=an island of rock in the sea here: a skerry in shallow water:

Pics of Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty(AONB)

Scilly Isles

Isles of Scilly

Cornwall Scilly

What is the British Isles?

The British Isles is a geographically term which includes two large islands, Great Britain and Ireland, and 5,000 small islands, most notably the Isle of Man which has its own parliament and laws.

Hi! I found the text on the Scilly Islands really great! I do like that style, full of humour and information at the same time. I’ve just finished reading it on the tiny display of my cellphone, so I definitely need to read it again on a decent screen… I’ve found many new expressions that I want to look up later.

Hi Betty 76,

If you want to read it again and again that any topic of the essay, you just save as
and keep it in your folder (Computer) i.e. big screen and you can read it as when you
feel to read the same. I am used to read like that only. It is my habit also.

Wish you good luck.

Thanks

Shanthi S.

There is something sweet in Mr. Alain writings. They are rich and friendly.
I wish I could have the full text. I mean the book.
Thank you again.

Sir Masmori,

As you said, Sir Alan’s Essays are sweet, I will say they are sweeter than Honey. If you want to buy his Essays/Grammar in a book, you can get it from ETN"s Shop. For that you can contact our Sir Torsten,who can guide/help you for getting it.

Wish you Good Luck

S.Shanthi

Dear Torsten & Alan,

Thank you guys so much for sharing this amazing article with us!
It is definitely wonderfully written! I absolutely adored the tone, the writing style of the essay, and the humour of the essay!
No incomprehensible vocabularies, no grandstanding writings, taking us a journey across the daily lives in the Scilly Isles!
Thank you so much Mr. Alan for sharing your spectacular experience with us! =’)

Terry

Hi Alan,
It gives me great pleasure to recieve your newsletters agian. it is really an interesting jurney. You made me feel that I went in an outdoor picnic.

In the past I had a cat like that. It had a vestige of a tail, which looked like a rabbit’s tail. It was a very nice and friendly cat.

Now, I feel that I’m famous. It is the Isle of mine. Oh, what about other Monas of the world. It would be more comfortable if Romans called it Mona Ramzi’s isle!

I hope that, I would visit England=Great Britain= U.K someday even, in my dreams.

Thank you very much

Sir,
Good day to you. Your news letter on Scilly was both informative and entertaining. Besides, it teaches us how to describe travel writing.
Thank you.
Regards,
Pratima Roy

Hi Kati,

How are you my friend. It is nice to meet you again. Thank you for your very attractive beautiful pictures. They constitute a complement of Alan’s story. Alan can merge them in his story. I like stories with pictures very much. They make me live the even.

Bye

Hello Alan,

Going Scilly- Luckily few weeks ago I read about - for the first time in my life -about the Scilly Isles so I knew that Scilly isn’t a typo or a spelling mistake I knew that you want to relate us that you have been to the Scilly Isles. I became very curious. The newsletter gave me a lot of associations.

First I want to tell you that lately I watched a report on TV. The editor-in-chief of the single literature paper reminisced about a very good writer who worked at this paper also.The writer was older than him, and he told to the editor-in-chief : “Tell me you speak in this way how you write?” And the young man told: “No.” The writer told him “write in that way how you speak.” As I knew very well this writer -who died ten years ago, he was a very good writer; now nobody speaks about him, as he never would be in this world. When I heard that this editor-in-chief gave him as a reference I loved this man.He made my day because I loved very much this novel writer.

I told this because when I read your newsletters you can write as you speak and we can feel as we can be on then and there. Now we were on the Scilly Isles. I think if he had known this Hungarian writer they could have been good friends.

The first what I wanted to speak what surprised me, that for me Great Britain was England, and it is very difficult to write or say the UK. I have to very often to correct myself because I write England.

When I was a student in the school we very rarely said Great Britain we and our teachers also said only England. In our country also-as you wrote - “the people simply said that England is doing this and England has done that because the word ‘England’ was used to stand for the whole country.”

I remember when I first heard the UK and I had no idea which country they spoke about.

Of course I didn’t reveal my ignorance, I checked it on but till today I believed that the UK naming happened in the XXth century, and just now I’ve controlled, and I saw The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland came into being on 1 January 1801 under the terms of the Act of Union 1800.

So in your passport is written: your country is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland -they could go the whole hog .

Regards.

That is not correct.

This will be because Great Britain is not the same as England.

Hello,

I am very sorry that you didn’t understand what I wanted to say. I began to go to school in 1947, after the WWII . It passed away 2 years. This was an other world. We said about this period - I try to translate word for word,- it was “an ántique world”.

I can’t help that our teacher and those adults said to us, to 6 year old children and later on also- “people simply said that England is doing this and England has done,” - it was the truth.

I am very happy that I know more about the UK. I read a book now. Its title: Spotlight on Britain, edited: Oxford University Press (1989).The first line: Many foreigners say ‘England’ and "English’ when they mean ‘Britain’, or the UK, and ‘British’.

As I read this book and I know more than the average man. I know more that I try to write here.

The UK = political name of the country which is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Island (sometimes known as Ulster.) Several islands off the British coast are also part of the UK(for example , the Isle of Wight, the Orkneys, Hebrides and Shetlands, and Isles of Scilly), although the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not.

How was the UK formed? This took centuries , and lot of armed struggle was involved.

Wales
In the 15 century, a Wales prince, Henry Tudor, became Henry King VII of England. Then his son Henry King VIII, united England and Wales under one Parliament in 1536.

Scotland

The similar thing happened .The King of Scotland inherited the crown of England and Wales in 1603, so he became King James I of England and Wales , and King Janes IV of Scotland. The Parliaments of England, Wales and Scotland were united a century later in 1707.

Northern Ireland

The whole of Ireland was united With Great Britain from 1801 up until 1922. In the year the independent Republic of Ireland was formed in the South, while Northern Ireland became part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

England(From Wikipedia)

The area now called England was first inhabited by modern humans during the Upper Palaeolithic period, but it takes its name from the Angles, one of the Germanic tribes who settled during the 5th and 6th centuries. England became a unified state in 927 AD, and since the Age of Discovery, which began during the 15th century, has had a significant cultural and legal impact on the wider world.[8] The English language, the Anglican Church, and English law - the basis for the common law legal systems of many other countries around the world - developed in England, and the country’s parliamentary system of government has been widely adopted by other nations.[9] The Industrial Revolution began in 18th-century England, transforming its society into the world’s first industrialised nation.[10]

Hi Beees,

How are you. Thank you for your notice. I’m sorry, you are right. From the geographical point of view Great Britain is not the same as England. this was obvious also in Alan’s essay, and Kati’s post. I have to be precise like you. Only, I wanted to say that, I wish to visit England or (and) Great Britain or (and) U.K. Using (=) was a mistake. I could not express well (in a good way) ,about what I wanted to say.

Many thanks

Hello Alan,

I agree that it isn’t good to say a so long name when they ask officially your county’s name. I agree because my maiden name was very long, and when I have to utter it was a tongue twister for me- this was very awkward … When I got married I received this “Svaby” name, and I got rid of my beloved, but tongue-twister name.
xxxx

Alan and their friends choose Mary island, the biggest island of the Scilly islands. They could have gone there by the long road down the county of Cornwall remembering that this is the land of King Arthur, the legendary leader of the 5th and 6th centuries. They can go to the Scillies by boat, by plane or by helicopter.

By the biggest boat the Scillonian which has a flat bottom. Why? It gives an explanation that the sea here most be shallow in some places , so they need a flat bottom boat. The plane, the Skybus, is subject to weather conditions and the noisiest.

So they chose the helicopter which is the quickest and the most reliable. But they have later discovered that this service no longer operates. The ‘heliport’ as they like to call it, is a far cry from those airports; it is friendly and the people make themselves at home. A young person asked them whether they’d like a snack or a drink. Of course they accepted it. The travel was very noisy, so they didn’t talk to each other so watched a film on the procedures of flying in a helicopter.

When they arrived to their self catering cottage their land-lady appeared strict. She received them with suspicion, surely she used to have trying experiences. After a brief introduction, she called out: ‘Shoes off before you go into the living area’. They quickly slippered and followed her. After a week their landlady by the extent of her smile she gave back them their holding deposit to cover any breakages -was returned in full.

I liked the story how they discovered the isle and got to know people of the island. In the next I would like to write about.